Votes: 26 56.5%
  • Roundheads

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters

Earl_of_Rochester

Ad Honoris
Feb 2011
Perambulating in St James' Park
What a wonderful letter, building up that eloquent and touching final paragraph.

Yes, I always thought it made the whole tragedy even more poignant. It's difficult for people to appreciate nowadays the mindset of the 15thC. That God was creator of the universe was unquestionable and Kings really did have appointment by Providence. The civil war tore families apart because of these beliefs, father against son, brother against brother and friends vs friends. People get the impression the war had opposing sides with little common ground, the sad truth is this wasn't always the case.

Crystal Rainbow

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Cumbernauld Scotland
I had written a alternative history story and it was called the hippies and the skinheads one day I will put it on a blog. Just to make people laugh.:lol:

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
While neither side really thrills me, I would have to say Parliamentarians. The idea of divine right of Kings is the greater of the two evils.

Oct 2009
Ontario, Canada
While neither side really thrills me, I would have to say Parliamentarians. The idea of divine right of Kings is the greater of the two evils.
I disagree. Parliament is really cool but the whole Puritan thing puts me off more than monarchical tyranny.

Like, would Iran's regime be so intolerable if they were ok with gambling, drinking, smoking and whoring?

SirOrmondeWinter

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Love Horrible Histories, great to have it back. Personally I'd be a reluctant roundhead, I believe in the monarchy but we all know Cromwell is right

Reactions: lemmylad

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Right - up to a point. Not that things were really any better under the Commonwealth than under Charles's rule: one can never tell where revolutions will end.

May 2010
Rhondda
The Parliament stood for capitalism, and had to win, or we'd be serfs. I support, first, the Levellers, then those who were taking over the common land, the Diggers (muddled as they were) - but emotionally, of course, I stand with the Fifth Monarchy: King Jesus and their heads upon the gates! My own people, of course, stood tediously for the successor of Henry V11, but it was the Parliament that created us as we now are, and we should be properly grateful!

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Even if Cromwell did not ban Christmas by direct personal action, the celebration of Chritmas festivities was in fact banned in parliamentary legislation in 1647. The Puritans were quite as awful in that sort of way as their reputation suggests.

Jan 2011
Planet Earth
I support the cavaliers. Not because I'm particularly pro-monarchist but because I just hate Cromwell so damn much. Wexford and Drogheda speak for themselves.