Votes: 26 56.5%
  • Roundheads

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters

Gile na Gile

Ad Honorem
May 2008
Fireland
This is all fascinating stuff. I guess the Roundheads must have been real ******** to be voted down so decisively in this poll. I know way too little about the history of the English Civil War. It's got to be the next subject I tackle.

Does anyone have recommendations on some good books about it?
This is one of the most written about periods of history & a bibliography so extensive it would take a lifetime to get through it. Every year it seems tends to produce a raft of new scholarship.

Best general works I've read on the century as a whole;

Christopher Hill, Century of Revolution 1603-1714
Mark Kishlansky, A Monarchy Transformed 1603-1714

Best concentrated study;

C.V. Wedgwood's 3 Volume classic; The King's Peace, The King's War & The Trial of Charles I is still essential reading. A masterpiece of good old fashioned narrative history if ever there was one.

Best military history;

John Kenyon & Jane Ohlmeyer; The Civil Wars: A Military History of England, Scotland and Ireland 1638-1660.

And here's one of the best historical websites I've ever seen;

British Civil Wars, Commonwealth and Protectorate, 1638-60

Skipping through this for half the day will really expand your knowledge. What I like most about it apart from the extensive database of bibliographies is the fact that so many primary documents are sourced in the reference pages; Pym's speeches, Putney debates, text of Covenanters Oath etc. Indispensable tool, kudos to those responsible.

Crystal Rainbow

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Cumbernauld Scotland
Nice story, but I don't think most of the Parliament-men were particularly prim and proper, there was no prohibition of smoking, and if they didn't take alcohol in their liquid refreshement they were likely to die young. Perhaps I'll make up a story about the dangers of water!:)
Perhaps we need a sense of humour when we write about history :D Well that's how I view it.:lol:

Gile na Gile

Ad Honorem
May 2008
Fireland
Perhaps we need a sense of humour when we write about history :D Well that's how I view it.:lol:
Proper order Crystal, I enjoyed it anyway - for a good laugh check out Haloman's blog on Edward Sedgley to see how some of the Cavalier 'hippies' would pass their time in Charles II's day.

Crystal Rainbow

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Cumbernauld Scotland
Proper order Crystal, I enjoyed it anyway - for a good laugh check out Haloman's blog on Edward Sedgley to see how some of the Cavalier 'hippies' would pass their time in Charles II's day.
I did enjoy halo man blog. I just put a different slant on the time of the day with a sense of humour :D

Dec 2011
Hertfordshire
I support Cromwell in his fight against absolute monarchy.
I agree....

Despite Cromwell's religious over-reaction, the Civil War started the process which resulted in parliament eventually taking the reins of power from the monarch.

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
Roundhead.

King Charles I was usurping the traditions England had been built upon for centuries.
Did he deserve to die? Perhaps not. But then he brought the war, and ultimately his death, on himself through his arrogance and pomposity.

I would not have supported the Roundheads' religious methods though, and would have been like Sir Thomas Fairax or the Earl of Manchester. A firm supporter of the war effort, but not really a die in the wool Puritan.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I couldn't choose. An elected Parliament operating in a constitutional monarchy had proved to be largely successful in England. Charles I was autocrat who wanted to be an absolute monarch. Cromwell was an autocrat who dismissed Parliament with the words "You have sat here too long...". Fortunately he did not sit very long.

May 2019
Earth
Didn't Ireland take a stab at self-government during this period? I'd probably support those guys. Nothing wrong with wanting to take charge of your own homeland. I think Confederate Ireland was nominally loyal to Charles I, so I guess that'd make me a cavalier by default...