• Cavaliers

Votes: 29 51.8%
  • Roundheads

Votes: 27 48.2%

• Total voters
Feb 2014
Australia
Roundhead

Charles was utterly unreliable, his word meant nothing, he was willing to spill unending blood and lie unceasingly until he got his way. After 2 brutal civil wars, where each of his 3 kingdoms had suffered horrible (estimated at 3.6 % of the population compared to 2.6% for WW1) he was quite willing to plunge them into a 3rd, all due to his unwillingness to compromise.

Charles also has to bear some of the opprobrium for the Irish deaths, as it was his plan to raise Irish troops to invade England that in part led to the English feeling the need to solve the Irish question.

Wexford and Drogheda stand out, as Cromwell generally acted more humanely than most generals of his era, when his word was given he would scrupulously keep it, even at his own disadvantage (He was on several occasion taken advantage of by Irish rebels by tricks after he had offered terms but still stuck to the terms on his side). Drogheda was standard, offer terms, if refused and the town was sacked, it was their own fault. We find it horrific today but sieges were just as horrid to both sides and sack if you refused term was at that time a conventional war action. Wexford is the one real stain on his career, he lost control of his troops, and therefore bears command responsibility for their actions by not reigning them in. However people don't seem to hold as general hatred for Richard 1 despite his actions at Acre, Henry V for Agincourt prisoner massacre, Zhukov for Berlin or Genghis Khan nearly everywhere he went, Caeser in Gaul, so while Cromwell is rightly censured for his this, he is amongst great generals in this regard.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Roundheads !!

-1.............. they won !
-2 ..............East Anglia men , Cambridge over Oxford any day

love the place , in my misspend youth , spend one year in St John's college ( as a dishwasher )

Nov 2019
United States
All of my English side had sailed for the colonies by the time this mix-up began. Good Puritans that they were. Long English history in my family can be traced to a Welsh Owen, and a Norman Baron (Corbin) who came with William. The namesake was from Somerset and left England but 10 years before the Civil Wars began.

Haesten

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
A blot on the Roundhead copybook, in 1642 Parliamentarian forces sacked Winchester Cathedral.
When the Normans built the new minster at Winchester they studiously disinterred the remains of the Anglo-Saxon/Viking kings from the old minster, placing them in caskets around the basilica.
Cromwell's troops scattered the lot, the bones are back in the caskets but all mixed up today.

nuclearguy165

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
I voted for the Cavaliers just because of a major disdain for Puritans such as John Pym, Henry Ireton and Oliver Cromwell, among others, even if I don’t care for Charles Stuart all that much more. Ultimately, the figure from this period who I support the most is a moderate like George Monck. If I revoted , I probably just would have voted Roundhead because of an association with the likes of him.

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
I’d stand with the club men.
neither side were particulary likeable
Cavaliers were a bunch of rapists.
Roundheads were puritanical religious bigots.

I’d be making sure they kept away from my village/town.

caldrail

Ad Honorem
Feb 2012
Hmmm... Well, I can't say James I appeals much seeing as he's forcing a war on us all (twice, as it happens), but I just don't like the Roundheads. Cavaliers it is. Break out the ale lads!

Jan 2012
South Midlands in Merlin's Isle of Gramarye
It was contrary to military discipline in the Army of Parliament to refer to your comrades as `Roundheads'.

At Naseby fight between the New Model Army and the army of Charles Stuart an ancestor trailed a pike under Richard Skippon. He survived largely thanks to Oliver Cromwell's second charge. Up until then it was not going well. I had at least one other relative on the field, namely Charles Stuart himself, a distant cousin. As a king Charles was a disaster but as a man he did not lack courage. It was a pity he never deployed his considerable imagination properly. Tragically for him his courtiers led him from the field at Naseby when he wished to fight and die alongside his men who by all accounts were bonny fighters.

Like my ancestor I take the radical puritan cause. He died in 1685 as a Quaker and occasional resident of the local prison as until that year any thoughtful, godly man was punished for his conscience by the authorities.