Celtic Fortresses: the Hallstatt culture, c.800-450 BC

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
I'm not even too sure where it is but suppose Pannonia? It was a complex and mixed place with Illyrians and Celts. The local roman fort where I live in the UK was garrissoned by the 4th Cohort of the Breuci, who came from Pannonia, but they weren't celtic but were described as illyrian with celtic influence, whatever that means.

Sanctuary could mean a religious or holy place. It doesn't have to be a fort. Roman municipiums though, were large and the production of coins would support that.
It should be Noricum. Illyrians were replaced by Celts here or adopted Celtic culture at least, I think.

Jan 2011
FRANCE
"The northeast edge of the hill, where the slope is least severe, was disconnected from the adjacent ground by the erection of a massive ditch and bank, perhaps originally forming a promontory fort. The southern and northern edges were also fortified with walls. The walling techniques included drystone walling, the murus gallicus (a typical Celtic technique of wood and stone) and perhaps also mudbrick. "
The fortification of late Hallsttatt was not a murus gallicus (with only horizontal poles) but a Pfostenschlitzmauer with front vertical poles and as far as I know there are no traces of mudbricks.

Similar History Discussions