Celtic music (Scottish and Irish)

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
The Celtic festivals are a trend now.

In Portugal there are a couple now, picking traditional folk songs and music as if the traditional Portuguese bagpipes were a proof that the songs had a Celtic origin.

The thing is that we don’t know if the traditional Portuguese (and Spanish) bagpipes have a Celtic origin. I don’t even think that we can trace sources previous to the Middle Ages. But I would like to hear some other opinions here.

May 2018
Houston, TX
This genre of music is my personal favorite. I especially enjoy traditional hymns done in Celtic/Irish/Scottish style.

An interesting note: I find that many music sources will lump Celtic into the genre called New Age. That is a mis-categorization as I see it. The Celtic style is really 'Old Age' if there was such a category.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Bands of Bagpipes of Northern Portugal
Nicely noted!

The bagpipes have two curious characteristics that are or can be misleading:

One is that they are often associated with Scotland, forgetting that other areas of Europe that also have the bagpipes in their traditional culture.

Other is that they are associated with the Celtic culture: And as far as I know, we don’t know if that is true; but this probably misconception may be a consequence of what I stated in the previous paragraph, ie, due the association between Scotland and the Celts.

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
One is that they are often associated with Scotland, forgetting that other areas of Europe that also have the bagpipes in their traditional culture.

Yeah right, but I think the origin of the bagpipe is not from Scotland. Maybe I get cheated.

Sim correcto,mas eu penso que a origem da gaita de foles não é da Escócia.Talvez eu esteija enganado .

Bagpipes - Wikipedia

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal

Yeah right, but I think the origin of the bagpipe is not from Scotland. Maybe I get cheated.

Sim correcto,mas eu penso que a origem da gaita de foles não é da Escócia.Talvez eu esteija enganado .

Bagpipes - Wikipedia
Exactly, I also have doubts that the bagpipe is from Scotland, and about the Celtic connection/origin.

By the way, thanks for the Wikipedia link, I confess that I didn’t knew that they were also used in the North of Africa and Western Asia, which at first sight seems to reinforce my doubts about the Celtic connection; as it mentioned here, in this part: Bagpipes - Wikipedia

Similar History Discussions