Celts in Egypt?

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
The other day I came across a vague refference about Celtic mercenaries in Ptolemayan Egypt in the 3rd century BC. Who were this Celts and where were they from? Are there any descriptions of their looks and about what their role was?

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I think they were from Galatia in what is now Turkey. The Celts had a sizable presence there. I know that Celtic mercenaries revolted against Ptolemy II and were crushed.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
The other day I came across a vague refference about Celtic mercenaries in Ptolemayan Egypt in the 3rd century BC. Who were this Celts and where were they from? Are there any descriptions of their looks and about what their role was?
Galatians. both impetuous medium cavalry or impetuous heavy infantry

(darn beaten while I slowly corrected 6 spelling errors)

M9Powell

Ad Honorem
Oct 2014
appalacian Mtns
Think i read somewhere years ago about how they had settlements in the Nile delta along with Mileasians & were pirates.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
"And Ptolemy, intending to follow him, was prevented by the following reason. Among some of his defensive operations against Magas, he had invited in some foreign mercenaries, and among others some 4,000 Galati; but finding that they were plotting to make themselves masters of Egypt, he sent them down to the Nile to a desert island. And here they perished, partly by one another's sword, partly by famine."

https://books.google.com/books?id=pHdfAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA13&lpg=PA13&dq="pausanias"+"4,000"+"ptolemy"&source=bl&ots=xEHKQxdk5p&sig=ACfU3U2rj3MpYXFUyd8IN9dsOrC4tOJsOA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjz-q2duoTkAhUBq1kKHc9HDMQQ6AEwCXoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false