Celts in Egypt?

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
"And Ptolemy, intending to follow him, was prevented by the following reason. Among some of his defensive operations against Magas, he had invited in some foreign mercenaries, and among others some 4,000 Galati; but finding that they were plotting to make themselves masters of Egypt, he sent them down to the Nile to a desert island. And here they perished, partly by one another's sword, partly by famine."

https://books.google.com/books?id=pHdfAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA13&lpg=PA13&dq="pausanias"+"4,000"+"ptolemy"&source=bl&ots=xEHKQxdk5p&sig=ACfU3U2rj3MpYXFUyd8IN9dsOrC4tOJsOA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjz-q2duoTkAhUBq1kKHc9HDMQQ6AEwCXoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false
So they were troublemakers as well. Interesting. I guess there are no descriptions of their physical appearance?

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
So they were troublemakers as well. Interesting. I guess there are no descriptions of their physical appearance?
They were employed as mercenaries in Egypt throughout much of the Ptolemaic period (multiple monarchs), so not all Celts got up to trouble that was inconvenient for the reigning king. I'm unsure if there are any physical descriptions of Celtic troops in Egyptian service or ancient artistic portrayals of them, but Angus McBride had a go at portraying them:

The three infantrymen in front are Celts.

They seem to have left some graffiti in the Temple of Karnak as well. In the chapel to Horus in the tomb of Seti there is an ancient graffito that reads, "Of the Galatians, we, Thoas, Callistratos, Acannon and Apollonios came, and a fox we caught there." The "fox" was probably a jackal.

Last edited:

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Celts were used as mercenaries all through the Mediterranean from Spain to Carthage to Egypt to Anatolia and Syria. Travel was relatively more fluid than people seem to assume and young men who in warrior cultures that were organized enough to provide groups of a few thousand and had trade contacts seem to have gone on mercenary wars as a rite of passage and if successful could return with money and reputation without having stirred up some blood feud with the neighbours.

Similar History Discussions