Censorship on HISTORUM

Status
Closed
Oct 2019
Austria
So apparently I posted a threat asking why Americans stopped the genocide in Bosnia while Europeans were facilitating it?

The moderator called Chlodio went ahead and told me that such example might cause "passion" and "discussion" and he closed the thread.

So I wonder if moderator understands what word "forum" means at all? Or maybe he is just European himself or a genocide denier and hates president Clinton?

Either way, this was my first and last post on this forum and I wish you all the best.
I will go back to reddit. I was genuinely interested in more professional opinions here because it was a specific forum for historic discussions but I guess, I was wrong.

I guess he will censor this as well.

Auf Wiedersehen.

Oct 2019
Austria
One more reason to love America because in America, there is this thing called freedom of speech and the first amendment, the constitution that protects it.

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
The rules here are clear and allow for a lot of leeway in our discussion, however your statement was provocative and framed as a fact instead of an opening for a discussion.

Reactions: Tulius

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
One more reason to love America because in America, there is this thing called freedom of speech and the first amendment, the constitution that protects it.
No, the forum has a pretty clear cut of point for history. It is 1991 linked to the fall of the Soviet Union.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
The rule about 1991 as temporal limit for historical discussions is clear and it's based on the matter of fact that it's not that easy to keep a real historical perspective about very recent events. Substantially it's more about journalism, since we cannot check enough primary sources [just to say, not a few documents about what happened in former Yugoslavia are still classified and we cannot have a suitably sufficient comprehensive vision of the facts].

Professional historians are writing for real about the wars in former Yugoslavia, but as said they risk to look more like journalists than historians. I'd say they write chronicles. Then, discussing so recent events there is the risk that the debate falls into politics and this would be anyway beyond the limits of the forum.

A last note: Historum is an American forum ... just for who says

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
The mods are making an effort to keep the discussion about history, not politics. You still get overly political discussion about a number of topics, including ones 100+ years old, like the American Civil War.

Reactions: Tulius

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Correct, anyway it's useful to remark that "current events" have to be current events while the threads are developing ... that is to say in that section we debate about the present, about history in the making. In a certain sense that's "Historum's Chronicles", since if you visit that section you will be able to read discussions about events which occurred from 2006 on.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
It's amazing how often people scream "censorship" when they really mean "I didn't read the rules!" or "I did read the rules but I don't think they apply to me".

Reactions: Modor
Status
Closed