Centurion song - my lyrics

Apr 2011
Hi everyone

I'm currently recording a song called Centurion, loosely based around Roman Centurions - could you please scan over my lyrics - your thoughts / feedback are most welcome and I'll post the song on here once it's completed! I have used a few lines from Shakespeare's [SIZE=-1]http://www.rhymezone.com/r/gwic.cgi?Word=_&Path=shakespeare/tragedies/coriolanus[/SIZE]Coriolanus as I think they fit the theme of the song nicely

“Have you an army ready, say you?
A most royal one; the centurions and their charges, distinctly billeted, already in the entertainment, and to be on foot at an hour's warning.”

Here on the battlefield, the enemy fall to their knees, one day they may surrender
Once their leader dies they fall one by one, their names immortal forever

Marching on side by side into the arms of glory they ride, now and forevermore
They inspired men to fight, their honour sealed in time, Oh!

Centurion, the guardian of a hundred souls
Centurion, ride into battle forever

“I am joyful to hear of their readiness, and am the man, I think, that shall set them in present action.
So, sir, heartily well met, and most glad of your company.
You take my part from me, sir; I have the most cause to be glad of yours.
Well, let us go together.”

With their sword and shield, they are the first in line, their courage never questioned
With an iron will, a strength born through time, their deeds immortal forever

Marching on side by side, into the realms of glory they ride, they’re warriors forevermore
They command men to fight, with all the legion behind, Oh!

They have sworn to defend, stand in line and they’ll fight until the end
Like they’ve seen in their dreams
Fighting on back to back, they can feel the war is close to the end
As they’ve seen in their dreams, in their dreams

Davidius

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Pillium
Hi Innerdream, sorry to be pedantic but after the Marian reforms of 107 bc the size of a century was standardised at eighty men. Prior to that it was a variable number depending on the quality, experience and equipment of the recruits. 'Guardian of a hundred souls' sounds ok but isn't necessarily historically accurate. May I also suggest 'march into battle forever' rather than ride as centurions are mostly associated with infantry. (other members please note I said 'mostly', theres only room for one annoying pedant in this thread and it isn't Innerdream!):lol::eek:

Apr 2011
Hi Innerdream, sorry to be pedantic but after the Marian reforms of 107 bc the size of a century was standardised at eighty men. Prior to that it was a variable number depending on the quality, experience and equipment of the recruits. 'Guardian of a hundred souls' sounds ok but isn't necessarily historically accurate. May I also suggest 'march into battle forever' rather than ride as centurions are mostly associated with infantry. (other members please note I said 'mostly', theres only room for one annoying pedant in this thread and it isn't Innerdream!):lol::eek:
cheers for the reply and your feedback - yes from the research I did I know a century wasn't 100 men but I've used a little bit of artistic license as it goes well with the chorus music / melody - I think that i'll also mix up the March / Ride into battle bits on the chorus to give it a bit more variety

Apr 2011
hi everyone

please ignore the above post - im not happy with one of the solos so ive deleted the songs and will re upload tomorrow