Changes to Timeline of World History

Jan 2016
Driffield
Following a review of what I have written so far, I have decided to alter how I am going to write this series so that instead of doing a chronological year by year series, I will focus on a particular region, topic or event instead. For example, Palaeolithic Europe, Thirty Year's War, Neolithic China or American Revolution. I feel this will help the flow of the story better and may help me get through this quicker than previously. It will also help say for example when I reach Ancient Egypt or Rome. I am kind of inspired by the excellent Podcast History of Our World by Rob Monaco.

The first chapter that was originally 200,000 to 70,000 BC will probably remain the same but will be retitled "Chapter 1 - Human Origins".

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia
Following a review of what I have written so far, I have decided to alter how I am going to write this series so that instead of doing a chronological year by year series, I will focus on a particular region, topic or event instead. For example, Palaeolithic Europe, Thirty Year's War, Neolithic China or American Revolution. I feel this will help the flow of the story better and may help me get through this quicker than previously. It will also help say for example when I reach Ancient Egypt or Rome. I am kind of inspired by the excellent Podcast History of Our World by Rob Monaco.

The first chapter that was originally 200,000 to 70,000 BC will probably remain the same but will be retitled "Chapter 1 - Human Origins".
When they dropped Ty Cobb's lifetime average from .467 to .466 it was enough to show me that nothing is sacred.

athena

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
Eugene, Oregon
"For example, Palaeolithic Europe, Thirty Year's War, Neolithic China or American Revolution."

Sounds much more interesting than dates.

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
I think you can do it. Of course this is a matter of imagination so that eras remain useful historical tools, as well as interesting and somewhat new. Some proposes:

The Dawn of Civilization = 3,150-539 BC (Narmer-Babylon Fall)

The Age of World Empires = 539 BC - 376 AD (Babylon Fall-Adrianople)

The Age of Barbarians = 376-1066 (Adrianople-Hastings)

The Age of Lords = 1066-1492 (Hastings-Columbus)

The Age of Discovery = 1492-1776 (Columbus-American Revolution)

The Age of Revolution = 1776-1917 (American Revolution-Russian Revolution)

Last edited:
Jan 2016
Driffield
I think you can do it. Of course this is a matter of imagination so that eras remain useful historical tools, as well as interesting and somewhat new. Some proposes:

The Dawn of Civilization = 3,150-539 BC (Narmer-Babylon Fall)

The Age of World Empires = 539 BC - 376 AD (Babylon Fall-Adrianople)

The Age of Barbarians = 376-1066 (Adrianople-Hastings)

The Age of Lords = 1066-1492 (Hastings-Columbus)

The Age of Discovery = 1492-1776 (Columbus-American Revolution)

The Age of Revolution = 1776-1917 (American Revolution-Russian Revolution)
Hey I like that idea. To be honest some of the stuff before 3,000 BC is pretty mundane and although fascinating with its various cultures, it doesn't really tell a good story. Personally I think 4,000 BC is a good starting point as this is the time when both Sumer and Egypt are in their build up to civilisation. Say pre-dynastic eras. I will take this on board :)

Similar History Discussions