Charles II The Power and the Passion

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
I liked this a lot.
It was actually fairly accurate to the real history, and all of the parts were well cast.
It captured the libertine nature of King Charles' court, and how the death of his father affected him over the years.

He was well-known for being horny and active as it were, though I think this is no different to many kings of the early modern and earlier medieval periods. Most kings had mistresses and numerous illegitimate children - Henry VIII is an example of this.

Charles II: The Power and the Passion - Wikipedia

Oct 2009
Behind a screen
Yes, I enjoyed it too.

One thing though, there were lots of English kings of whom it's not known that they were every adulterous.
English Kings having mistresses was not as much a given as people sometimes think.

Of course, Charles II is a prime example of someone with a lot of mistresses and illegitimate children, as is Henry I.

Reactions: Futurist

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
Yes, I enjoyed it too.

One thing though, there were lots of English kings of whom it's not known that they were every adulterous.
English Kings having mistresses was not as much a given as people sometimes think.

Of course, Charles II is a prime example of someone with a lot of mistresses and illegitimate children, as is Henry I.
The practice of kings having mistresses was expected, and condoned by the Church.
Some kings were better known for having them, like Charles II or Henry VIII, or Henry I. But there are many English kings who had known mistresses, and none were condemned for it.

Oct 2009
Behind a screen
The practice of kings having mistresses was expected, and condoned by the Church.
Some kings were better known for having them, like Charles II or Henry VIII, or Henry I. But there are many English kings who had known mistresses, and none were condemned for it.
My point was that it was not a given. There were many who did not have known mistresses, while being married.

William the Conqueror.
Stephen
Henry III
Edward I
Richard II (but gossip about homosexuality)
Henry IV
Henry V
Henry VI
Richard III
Henry VII
Charles I
William III
George III
William IV
George V
George VI

Last edited: