China’s Impact on SE Asia

Jul 2019
hongkong
Different between ASEAN. The most influential Chinese culture is Vietnam. Other places have been influenced by India, Islam, and Western civilization.

China's influence in Southeast Asia is mainly Chinese. Every war will generate more refugees to ASEAN, and there are currently 30 million.

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Different between ASEAN. The most influential Chinese culture is Vietnam. Other places have been influenced by India, Islam, and Western civilization.

China's influence in Southeast Asia is mainly Chinese. Every war will generate more refugees to ASEAN, and there are currently 30 million.
Could you be more specific, especially in regard to which dynasty had the biggest impact?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
The Song and Ming dynasties.

The great civilisations of South East Asia - the Khmer, Dai Viet, Sukhothai came into existence around the 11th-15th centuries, which is contemporaneous with the Song and Ming.

The Tai people, of whom the Thai are one, originate from Southern China, around Guangzhou. I believe the Shan and Mon are Tai too, and the Lao and Isan definitely fall into this category.

But Chinese influence is rather limited. The languages have some words of Chinese origin but the strongest influence comes from India, in terms of language and architecture. There are modern day influences in cuisine and culture, but I believe these are more recent and a result of Chinese immigrants and settlers.

Sep 2016
天下
I'm not sure why you compare Sea to Europe. Southeast Asia was in the periphery of Chinese civilisation, Roman equivalent would be Scandinavia, where nothing but some limited trade was occurring. The equivalent of Europe in Chinese example is not Sea, but China itself.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I'm not sure why you compare Sea to Europe. Southeast Asia was in the periphery of Chinese civilisation, Roman equivalent would be Scandinavia, where nothing but some limited trade was occurring. The equivalent of Europe in Chinese example is not Sea, but China itself.
Well, Dai Viet adopted Chinese script.

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
The Song and Ming dynasties.

The great civilisations of South East Asia - the Khmer, Dai Viet, Sukhothai came into existence around the 11th-15th centuries, which is contemporaneous with the Song and Ming.

The Tai people, of whom the Thai are one, originate from Southern China, around Guangzhou. I believe the Shan and Mon are Tai too, and the Lao and Isan definitely fall into this category.

But Chinese influence is rather limited. The languages have some words of Chinese origin but the strongest influence comes from India, in terms of language and architecture. There are modern day influences in cuisine and culture, but I believe these are more recent and a result of Chinese immigrants and settlers.

Thanks. Good answer

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
I was not comparing; I was asking a question. Thanks for the answer.