China in crisis?

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
if you want to search "ghost city", the news here is not a news at all.
investment has risk, that is why it is called adventure.
you wouldn't call the bankrupt of Detroit as crisis of US. for the same reason you cannot call the pause of investment of shenfu (a city built out from nothing in last six years, very short term for fundamental investment) as china's crisis.

Aljazeera clearly knows better than some eastern european journalists, recently they also want to report ghost cities in china, sadly found the ghost city is no ghost any longer. the difference is those eastern european guys were in a different place of china.

northeastern china has difficulty in development, because they heavily rely on heavy industry, and youth just don't want to do the job at their home. however, the new cities were meant to be part of plan to transform to services from industry.

whatever, northeastern china is a corner of china. like all western medias it learns to model, Aljazeera likes to tell "stories", however "stories" hardly have statistical information. those medias should just be better to stick on the special issue, confine the discussion to the matter at issue

Last edited:

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
I also talk a little on Weibo, but with 72 attended weibo and 86 fans, I really don't matter like some of the big stars (even the modestly famous TV star Shu Chang 舒畅, has more than 5 million weibo fans and hundreds and thousands of posts on her weibo.)
In spite of the limited scope, I would still post what I have heard so far:
1) Environmental pollution, food and water safety: due to contaminated environment, food and water, China is known for unprecedented epidemic of cancers and some premature deaths.
2) Work and employment: the struggle to get by is quite significant.
3) Overproduction and glut are rampant.

Jul 2014
world
I also talk a little on Weibo, but with 72 attended weibo and 86 fans, I really don't matter like some of the big stars (even the modestly famous TV star Shu Chang 舒畅, has more than 5 million weibo fans and hundreds and thousands of posts on her weibo.)
In spite of the limited scope, I would still post what I have heard so far:
1) Environmental pollution, food and water safety: due to contaminated environment, food and water, China is known for unprecedented epidemic of cancers and some premature deaths.
2) Work and employment: the struggle to get by is quite significant.
3) Overproduction and glut are rampant.
You are forgetting rampant corruption (though much less now) and also over educated workers stuck in menial jobs. Transformation to service side of the economy has become paramount in light of recent events.

We need more tencents and kuaidi to transit to first world status.

jackydee

Ad Honorem
Jan 2013
Brigadoon
We have been promised an international financial crisis ever since the last crisis. Almost every country has been whispered as being the next to fail. Im certain that there is a financial/economic crisis headed our way but I have no idea which country and which sectors will be hardest hit. European banks & China seem the best candidates but in reality it could hit almost anywhere.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Well China has had strong growth for many years now, a slow down or even a recession would be completely normal

There is also an effect that is ill understood and which relates to infrastructure... China has built a LOT of infrastructure for the past 10 years or so.. When you are starting from a low base, you can invest in new infrastructure and you have little or no running costs.. But after a few years you have growing maintenance costs (all the roads and other infrastructure has to be maintained) -and the rate of growth of these costs may be higher than GDP growth- which means you have now growing fixed costs and less and less ability to invest .... This is a problem faced by most developed countries

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
Well China has had strong growth for many years now, a slow down or even a recession would be completely normal

There is also an effect that is ill understood and which relates to infrastructure... China has built a LOT of infrastructure for the past 10 years or so.. When you are starting from a low base, you can invest in new infrastructure and you have little or no running costs.. But after a few years you have growing maintenance costs (all the roads and other infrastructure has to be maintained) -and the rate of growth of these costs may be higher than GDP growth- which means you have now growing fixed costs and less and less ability to invest .... This is a problem faced by most developed countries
GDP is a disputed measurement; there are many more useful measurements such as the GPI (Genuine Progress Indicator).
If the Chinese government takes GPI seriously rather than GDP, it will be a revolutionary step indeed.

Apr 2012
India
China in debt - Al Jazeera English

Inside China's ghost towns: 'Developers run out of money' - Al Jazeera English

I honestly doubt the reliability of Aljazeera, but is it true that China is facing a few crises?
On the surface, we still found numerous manufactured and agricultural goods from China.
China is in a recession for past year and a half, a recession which started with back to back bubble burst in real state and stocks, and has been a major cause for crash in global Oil prices. Its growth numbers being held steady by government spending in belief that the crisis would be over and global demand would pick up before it run out of cash.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
China is in a recession for past year and a half, a recession which started with back to back bubble burst in real state and stocks, and has been a major cause for crash in global Oil prices. Its growth numbers being held steady by government spending in belief that the crisis would be over and global demand would pick up before it run out of cash.
China is undergoing transition...

Similar History Discussions