China in crisis?

Aug 2009
Londinium
it is very apparent, the point is not on language. language is only a feature that marks people's difference.
So we agree that language isn't a factor in a discussion regarding living standards or quality of life??

our english poster friends did not realize it is indeed a subjective topic of living standard/life quality, while some english sources do not reflect the complexity of human, because many people of the planet do not share the language.

Aug 2009
Londinium
a english speaking person's opinion reflects an idea belongs to the english speaking group.
the idea does not necessarily shared by other groups.

i thought it is obvious.
English speakers are varied, I suspect you mean a (national) culture rather than a common language, for example, people in the US and UK would have vastly different attitudes to quality of life and access to firearms.

While there is some cultural aspects to any study of a society, the aspects that determine a quality of life are largely consistent across cultures. There are absolutes for a high quality of life - no ones wants to have their level of education constrained or determined based on their gender for example.

Furthermore, if one is to choose any other country to live (leave their cultural group), then there are still considerations to make regarding the quality of life, namely from my previous post:

• freedom from slavery and torture
• equal protection of the law
• freedom from discrimination
• freedom of movement
• freedom of residence within one's home country
• presumption of innocence unless proved guilty
• right to marry
• right to have a family
• right to be treated equally without regard to gender, race, language, religion, political beliefs, nationality, socioeconomic status and more
• right to privacy
• freedom of thought
• freedom of religion
• free choice of employment
• right to fair pay
• equal pay for equal work
• right to vote
• right to rest and leisure
• right to education
• right to human dignity

All of the above are therefore to be considered when judging the development of particular area/nation etc

Apr 2013
China
English speakers are varied, I suspect you mean a (national) culture rather than a common language, for example, people in the US and UK would have vastly different attitudes to quality of life and access to firearms.
the language is only one feature marks the differences of people.
it is NOT the only or ultimate feature to mark differences. no implication has ever been give it is the only one.

While there is some cultural aspects to any study of a society, the aspects that determine a quality of life are largely consistent across cultures. There are absolutes for a high quality of life - no ones wants to have their level of education constrained or determined based on their gender for example.

Furthermore, if one is to choose any other country to live (leave their cultural group), then there are still considerations to make regarding the quality of life, namely from my previous post:

• freedom from slavery and torture
• equal protection of the law
• freedom from discrimination
• freedom of movement
• freedom of residence within one's home country
• presumption of innocence unless proved guilty
• right to marry
• right to have a family
• right to be treated equally without regard to gender, race, language, religion, political beliefs, nationality, socioeconomic status and more
• right to privacy
• freedom of thought
• freedom of religion
• free choice of employment
• right to fair pay
• equal pay for equal work
• right to vote
• right to rest and leisure
• right to education
• right to human dignity

All of the above are therefore to be considered when judging the development of particular area/nation etc
you are refusing listening.

Aug 2009
Londinium
the language is only one feature marks the differences of people.

it is NOT the only or ultimate feature to mark differences. no implication has ever been give it is the only one.
I’ve not disagreed with this statement once, in fact I made the exact same point in the post you just quoted.

you are refusing listening.
I’ve listened and responded to all points made, while asking for clarifications when I’m not understanding your posts. I’m happy to leave this conversation here as it doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. For now, we can allow anyone interested enough to read this thread to reach their own conclusions regarding our conversation and your assertion that I’m refusing to listen.

Apr 2013
China
I’ve not disagreed with this statement once, in fact I made the exact same point in the post you just quoted.

I’ve listened and responded to all points made, while asking for clarifications when I’m not understanding your posts. I’m happy to leave this conversation here as it doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. For now, we can allow anyone interested enough to read this thread to reach their own conclusions regarding our conversation and your assertion that I’m refusing to listen.
apparently your list is not shared among people.
despite you acknowledge differences of people, you assert your list is valid as a standard for human.

it is NOT.

for example, what is a "human dignity"?? different people have completely different understanding of dignity, some might be in direct conflict. this subjective topic can hardly be universally shared.
this is the first part voids the list: Diversity of common existing of concepts
same goes for privacy and several other items.

then "equal protection of the law" "freedom from discrimination" "right to be treated equally without regard to gender, race, language, religion, political beliefs, nationality, socioeconomic status and more" and several others is just one thing: " equality "
equality should be pursued. but there are different understandings on who shares the equality
i noticed there is a project initialized by the west within UN called preventing the discrimination against African descendants. they expect china to do some work on this project. but god, in chinese eyes, the title itself is discrimination! why specially list out African descendants? Aarican Abrican Acrican Adrican Aerican desendants should all face not discrimination.
of course, this is my chinese understanding. we do not share the western kind of anti-discrimination concepts, which label out groups of people and draw a gap between.

this is the second part voids the list: lack of common existed concepts

and then, items like "freedom of thought" is just a pointless item.
even it should be pursued, there is no realizable way to validate it is actually practiced
this is the third part: realizability

then, items like "right to vote" is just a common abused western imposition.
voting should be pursued. however, every nation shall enjoy their favoured vote form. not in a single pair nations, even in the west, the vote is the same.
naming "right to vote" is not valid for standard of life at all.
this is the forth part: no political elements

-----------------------------------
to sum-up, when make it so long, and when make it too many "freedom of A" "freedom of B", you unnecessarily makes conflict with people you do not usually listen to.

Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
then "equal protection of the law" "freedom from discrimination" "right to be treated equally without regard to gender, race, language, religion, political beliefs, nationality, socioeconomic status and more" and several others is just one thing: " equality "
equality should be pursued. but there are different understandings on who shares the equality
i noticed there is a project initialized by the west within UN called preventing the discrimination against African descendants. they expect china to do some work on this project. but god, in chinese eyes, the title itself is discrimination! why specially list out African descendants? Aarican Abrican Acrican Adrican Aerican desendants should all face not discrimination.
of course, this is my chinese understanding. we do not share the western kind of anti-discrimination concepts, which label out groups of people and draw a gap between.
I don't exactly understand what you are trying to say here. The UN, or the West, didn't initiate the so-called "project" just to prevent discrimination against African descendants, I don't know where did you get that idea.

Second, your own government does specially list out China's minorities and put many affirmative action laws in order to protect them and elevate them out of a disadvantaged position when compared to Han people.

Apr 2013
China
I don't exactly understand what you are trying to say here. The UN, or the West, didn't initiate the so-called "project" just to prevent discrimination against African descendants, I don't know where did you get that idea.

Second, your own government does specially list out China's minorities and put many affirmative action laws in order to protect them and elevate them out of a disadvantaged position when compared to Han people.
there is a project in UN, specifically for african descendants. you could find the infor by quick google.

about minority in china, you think there is policies to label out for the so called "disadvantage". you are right and wrong.
minorities had faced benefit, in most concerned case, the additional scores for exams.
it is not a policy splits the people.
it is rather a policy for easy practice. minortities had been in a less economic developed state. and in an other way, we found many people in less developed places were minorities. it is important to give people who can only recieve lower education levels additional score, to help them develop their local economy, and hence other social aspect. how to find the people need addtional support? family based survey is expensive, not feasible. however, the id card of each citizen is clear and easily accessible, their ethnic group infor is easily accessible. using recently popular deep learning concepts, ethnic group is only a feature or a fingerprint that marks who is receiving lower level education, and thus who need support.

indeed, when this feature is no longer correlated with the education level, we have already changed the fingerprint. now, being a minority student not necessarily give one addtional scores. the background of local educational level, which is not feasible to be colleted is used for supporting with additional scores.

Similar History Discussions