China XX century: Why did Deng Xiaoping still practise Mao's cult of personality despite having been brutally persecuted by Mao?

Jan 2019
Spain - Vietnam
Deng Xiaoping managed to come to power after the chaotic period surrounding the death of Mao. He had been brutally purged by Mao in the Cultural revolution, and yet, after all that mess, he still practised Mao's cult of personality. This is something I don't understand. Why was the portrait of Mao still hung upon the Tiananmen Square during his period?
Furthermore, why had Mao's cult of personality always been practised after his death, even to this day, under Xi Jinping - whose father was also purged by Mao?

Sep 2014
Queens, NYC
Perhaps this: Mao touted the Communist Party, which still rules. The Chinese Communists may wonder if de-Stalinization weakened the Soviet Communist party's acceptability in the Soviet people's regard, leading to the end of the Soviet Union. So,the Chinese Communists may continue Mao's official regard to preserve the CCP's "legitimacy".

Feb 2011
Deng was part of the CCP, and CCP legitimacy is interconnected with Mao's legitimacy. Deng didn't practice the cult of personality, a cult of personality means Mao was 100% right and 0% wrong. Deng's stance was that Mao was 70% right and 30% wrong. That's probably as low as the number could go without diminishing the CCP's legitimacy.

Mar 2012
You can easily go into a Chinese bar, yell Mao sucks, probably only a few will be against you, the majority wouldn't respond one way or another, and 1-2 people might agree with you. You go to Turkey and say the same about Ataturk, chances are you will be beaten, or even arrested and put in prison because its illegal and Turkey supposedly have more freedom of speech than China. There is no cult of personality around Mao in China today.

Last edited:
Jan 2019
Spain - Vietnam
You can easily go into a Chinese bar, yell Mao sucks, probably only a few will be against you, the majority wouldn't respond one way or another, and 1-2 people might agree with you. You go to Turkey and say the same about Ataturk, chances are you will be beaten, or even arrested and put in prison because its illegal and Turkey supposedly have more freedom of speech than China. There is no cult of personality around Mao in China today.
Right. But my question surrounds Deng Xiaoping - Someone brutally purged by Mao - and happened to become leader of China after Mao. He could’ve “de-Maoized” China in one way or another. Yet no. He respected Mao, and Mao still had his public figure preserved. Again, he was purged. Brutally.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Right. But my question surrounds Deng Xiaoping - Someone brutally purged by Mao - and happened to become leader of China after Mao. He could’ve “de-Maoized” China in one way or another. Yet no. He respected Mao, and Mao still had his public figure preserved. Again, he was purged. Brutally.
Mao is the founding father of Chinese communist state, despite his failure as a ruler, he is still key to the identity of Chinese Communist party.

Jul 2014
world
Deng Xiaoping managed to come to power after the chaotic period surrounding the death of Mao. He had been brutally purged by Mao in the Cultural revolution, and yet, after all that mess, he still practised Mao's cult of personality. This is something I don't understand. Why was the portrait of Mao still hung upon the Tiananmen Square during his period?
Furthermore, why had Mao's cult of personality always been practised after his death, even to this day, under Xi Jinping - whose father was also purged by Mao?
Mao is the father of the nation of People Republic Of China. LIke Washington or Gandhi. All of these great men had great faults in characters but are still respected because their contribution to their respective nations was too great.

Jul 2017
Sydney
I don't know about a personality cult but some of my Chinese friends say Mao was the last emperor :)

Deng Xiaoping is undoubtedly the architect of modern China, if you ask me or many other neutral observers but an architect can never be equal to an emperor :)

That explains the legacy of Mao, I reckon

Similar History Discussions