Chinese cheers

May 2009
As a non-Chinese speaker I'm curious, what would be the Chinese equivalent of the English "Hip, hip, hooray!" or "yippee!"? What are the things Chinese people (any dialect) yell when they want to cheer or celebrate something? "Ganbei" is well known, but that seems like more of a drinking cheer.

Feel free to post cheers from other languages too. I'd love to hear all of them.

mariusj

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Los Angeles
When I was playing Taikō Risshiden I always find the sound 'ei ei oae' to be awesome.

mariusj

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Los Angeles
As a non-Chinese speaker I'm curious, what would be the Chinese equivalent of the English "Hip, hip, hooray!" or "yippee!"? What are the things Chinese people (any dialect) yell when they want to cheer or celebrate something? "Ganbei" is well known, but that seems like more of a drinking cheer.

Feel free to post cheers from other languages too. I'd love to hear all of them.
Ancient Chinese would shout Long Live or wan-sui, which lasted well into the Song era where it already transitions into a imperial usage only. A Song era official was in the south and it was a festival, he almost fell off his horse as he heard people gave a loud cheer 'wan sui' and he thought there was treason and he was ready to flee for his life, and then people were like nah they are just celebrating.

Reactions: stevapalooza

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Ancient Chinese would shout Long Live or wan-sui, which lasted well into the Song era where it already transitions into a imperial usage only. A Song era official was in the south and it was a festival, he almost fell off his horse as he heard people gave a loud cheer 'wan sui' and he thought there was treason and he was ready to flee for his life, and then people were like nah they are just celebrating.
"wansui" (ten thousand years) was adopted into Japanese as "mansai" and later corrupted as "banzai".

Reactions: stevapalooza
May 2009
Sounds similar to the Italian toast "cent' anni” , which means "100 years"