Chinese graves of Roman-era London

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Interesting.

I'm glad the article also mentioned the East Asian skeleton found in a Roman cemetery in Italy as well. That was the first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title.

I wonder how they ended up so far from home. In an age long before air travel China and Rome might as well have been on the moon from the perspective of the other.

kazeuma

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
That would have been one interesting story indeed... leaving Han China crossing to the Roman Empire...

Probably they were merchants like Marco Polo's family - silk and gold.

May 2009
Werent there also Roman remains discovered in China? Must've been tough for both groups with such a significant language barrier and not many translators on hand.

Feb 2013
Second City
The way the article is written suggests that they're sort of assuming the Asian skeletons to be Chinese because China was such an advanced civilization. The skeletons could be Chinese, but given the time and place, they may more likely belong to Scythians or Huns or some other Eurasian steppe people.

Last edited:
Feb 2013
Second City
Werent there also Roman remains discovered in China? Must've been tough for both groups with such a significant language barrier and not many translators on hand.
It was very common for Persians (or at least Persian-speakers) to serve as the interlocutors between the courts and merchants of the Mediterranean basin and China.

Last edited:

Space Shark

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Redneck Country, AKA Texas
Probably an Asian version of Marco Polo who died in the middle of the journey and was buried in a local cemetery.

Aug 2012
Washington State, USA.
Dude, this is crazy!

Can you imagine the journey these people had to make?

I complained when Ragnar in The Vikings series met a Chinese woman. I thought it was unlikely that such a meeting could be possible.