Chinese Mountain Pattern Armor

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
I think I have enough thong for both pauldrons, so I' m going to see if I can get started sewing things together.

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Okay. The scales are all ready to lace. I actually sanded off the rough edges left from the shears, and hand-polished each one. The backing is the saffron-colored goat leather below it. The paper is the actual area covered by the scales. The extra portion left at top is for spaulder when they arrive and are modified.

IMG_0179.JPG
thumbnail_IMG_0180.jpg

Feb 2019
California
Which would make scale also one of the heavier types of armour, in contrast to mail and plate where thickness is evenly spread. Since armour is only as good as the protection its weakest spots can provide, this mountain armour is relatively unefficient. A simple case of logic.

I understand what you're saying with that last comment there, but it's not quite correct is it.

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
It is hard to find extant examples of hexagonal scale armour. The closest I could find to your proposal is this Mongolian piece but the lacing is pretty crude and the plates look to be sloppy. I think your central-hole design will hold the plates together more tightly and keep them properly aligned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Todd Feinman

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
That's a cool piece of armour! Yeah, if this pattern fails, I'll admit to being at a total loss on what they were depicting.

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Spaulders came in from India (everything is a roll of the dice with the re-enactment products) and they would be large on Paul Bunyan! Oh well.. If I can't make them work, I can just make a version without them, as they are also shown. Description said they were 9" tall --they are more like 12" -13" tall and cover whole upper arm. :angry:

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
The Indian stuff is pretty dodgy. Best to buy from a local distributor that has to obey consumer laws. It might cost a bit more but you can return the item if the product description is misleading.

Reactions: Todd Feinman