Chinese official responses to International events: 1875-1920?

Jun 2012
Just because China was the 'Middle Kingdom' - and then later a 'Republic' - does not mean that the dominant government was unaware of current events.

Besides certain thoughts of prominent individuals, I am interested in the official responses (congratulations, commiserations, humanitarian gestures, etc.) to these notable events.
1. Sinking of the Titanic, 1912
2. Battle of Tsushima, 1905
3. The beloved 'Chinese' Gordon Pasha's death at Khartoum, 1885
4. Custer's Last Stand, 1876

China was experiencing a lot, that is true, but so were other nations at the time and they still functionally engaged at world stage. Was the Chinese nation still participating or was it particularly anti-social?

Jun 2012
While absence of evidence is not a complete proof of absence, it is indicative of such a thing in the physical reality we are living in.

I take it that Chinese diplomacy was the most anti-social and unengaged with the world during this time period?

Jan 2016
United States, MO
While absence of evidence is not a complete proof of absence, it is indicative of such a thing in the physical reality we are living in.

I take it that Chinese diplomacy was the most anti-social and unengaged with the world during this time period?
Many elites of China at this time were more concerned with modernizing the country, and there were all kinds of debates about what should be done. I am sure that some of these people knew what was happening in the world at this time but it wouldn’t be a significant portion of the population. The chinese populace at large was still living in a country that wasn’t a big player on the world stage. Imagine going to Sri Lanka and asking them what their opinion was on the Iraq war. They may know of it, but most of them probably don’t care because it is simply too far removed from them.

Jun 2012
Many elites of China at this time were more concerned with modernizing the country, and there were all kinds of debates about what should be done. I am sure that some of these people knew what was happening in the world at this time but it wouldn’t be a significant portion of the population. The Chinese populace at large was still living in a country that wasn’t a big player on the world stage. Imagine going to Sri Lanka and asking them what their opinion was on the Iraq war. They may know of it, but most of them probably don’t care because it is simply too far removed from them.
Good point. However, the astonishing and tremendous results of the Russo-Japanese War should emanate to all nearby nations. Heck, some of the battles fought were within the former territories of Qing Dynasty and close to the core population of China.
But I guess there were too many contradictions for the Chinese officials to handle.