Christianity in current China

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
Christianity in China is often a complicated issue.
On one hand, we have a vehemently anti-Christian voice that claims Christianity is a cult.
"The Christianity as Cult"
Such opinions are somewhat common in the Ex-Christian circle:
ExChristian.Net - Articles: The Christian Cult: Brainwash And Mind Control In The Name Of The Lord?
Arguably, China had a long atheist tradition; one good example is that the writer of Lunheng, Wang Chong, was a well-known Later Han atheist,
who claimed that humans were born of nature itself and not created.
The Daoist tradition denies a personal creator; the Confucian tradition is a bit confusing.

On the other hand, many Christians (or even non-Christians) attempt to defend that Christianity is a legitimate religion.
Let's assume something for legitimate religions:
1) Freedom of conscience
2) Adherence to national and secular laws
3) Respect for general ethical values

Due to shunning and threats to potential leavers (or former members), Jehovah's Witness and other Christian groups have been treated with disrespect.
The apostasy policy of Islam has rendered it a "cult" due to the freedom of conscience rule.
China suffered greatly from both Taiping Rebellion (arguably a Christian cult), Yellow Turban Rebellion (arguably a Daoist cult), and White Lotus Cult (arguably a mixture of Daoism and Buddhism).

The "official policy", some Baidu posters mention, is to hold Daoism, Buddhism, Christianity, and Islam as legitimate religions; Baha'ism seems to adhere to the three standards above and is not recognized.

How is the real state of Christianity in China?
What is the general sentiment towards Christianity?

Hong Kong is an ironic case; many performance artists are card carrying Christians; due to their actions and speeches, they are dubbed "Christard" (Christian and retard):
Urban Dictionary: Christard

Hong Kong has a substantial Christian population and many Christian schools; then, it doesn't become the majority there.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Buddhism has a strong values that's why it able to stand up in Hongkong, also British were not very rigorous to proselyting the natives in their colonies.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
Buddhism has a strong values that's why it able to stand up in Hongkong, also British were not very rigorous to proselyting the natives in their colonies.
Buddhism isn't exactly a part of Chinese heritage; most suspect that China has a less than religious heritage.
Atheism in China isn't exactly communist; Wang Chong (王充) of the later Han Dynasty and Xun Kuang (荀況) were well-known native atheists in China.

Jul 2014
world
Christian missionaries are far lesser in number than even 5 years back ... atleast around Qinghai and Tibetan areas of Sichuan amd Yunan.

They were in great numbers preaching Christianity under the guise of learning Chinese. Korean missionaries outnumbered every other nationality.

American missionaries were one of the most honest and gentle people i have ever seen. this has made me respect jesus Christ and missionaries.

Almost all of them are gone now. i wonder why?

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
I was going to post about Islam in China, because there isa significant Muslim population; approx 1.3% of the total Chinese population--

Did some digging and discovered PRC government has started some serious repression, with an alleged 1 MILLION Chines muslims currently detained in camps

The reason is allegedly to control Muslim extremists, before they become a problem.

Sounds about right to me.Does anyone have reliable information about the situation?

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
In both Islam and Christianity, there is quite a tendency towards debasing non-believers, especially ex-believers.
The most laughable label of Cantonese Christians is "people who have not yet believed"; this is especially insulting towards ex-believers.
Why is this the case?

Jul 2014
world
Did some digging and discovered PRC government has started some serious repression, with an alleged 1 MILLION Chines muslims currently detained in camps

The reason is allegedly to control Muslim extremists, before they become a problem.

Sounds about right to me.Does anyone have reliable information about the situation?
I have one acquaintance who had been to the reeducation camp. They had to wake up early and do exercises. breakfast and than self study and patriotism classes. Chinese classes were free for those who wanted to learn. There were few business development classes also.

There was no chanting of XI jingpings or Communist Party as alleged in some papers. There were no beatings or sleep deprivation or any physical abuse.

According to him many of the inmates were religious fundamentalists who made inflammatory speeches or had banned videos in mobile or had visited few sensitive countries.

The average stay according to him is from one week to months.

One million in camp is gross exaggeration IMHO. More like tens of thousands.

PS: My friend had gone to Pakistan and extended his Visa there plus there were some cash transactions that authorities wanted to check out. He voluntarily came back and cleared the issues in the camp. He has to pay some money in back taxes but that is all. His family was not involved by the authorities.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
A million inflammatory believers?

I asked for credible sources. I'm afraid the information you've provided is hearsay.

As far as I can tell the PRC remains as politically repressive as ever. Tolerating no dissent, real or imagined. The claims made about the reeducation camps seem a tad fanciful, very much party line.

EG ThePRC government still controls history and of course the internet, although with phones they may well lose the battle.

In the meantime, ask your friend about information about Google in China, and perhaps about people under 25's knowledge of the Tiananmen Square massacre of 1989. -

Tiananmen shocked me to the core. I was in China in 1985, and everything seemed just peachy. Although we had an official guide, we were allowed to go anywhere we wanted, alone . Well yea, we don't speak Mandarin and few Chinese in China speak English. One good thing has stayed with me; I felt safer in China than anywhere in the world I have been. Of course, China tends to execute thieves.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
In both Islam and Christianity, there is quite a tendency towards debasing non-believers, especially ex-believers.
The most laughable label of Cantonese Christians is "people who have not yet believed"; this is especially insulting towards ex-believers.
Why is this the case?
That attitude smells of certain flavours of evangelicals. Why would ex believers be insulted, and why is that relevant? --

Every person has 100% right to be offended. What they do not have is the right not to be offended. If we are not free to give offence, then we are being censored There is a distinct difference between freedom and licence; freedom/the right to offend does not extend to inciting violence or other criminal acts, such as yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded theatre..

Here in Australis, we no longer have the right to offend. We have anti-hate laws . It is an offence for example, to hurl racist or religious insults at others. I think the last time a hurled that type of offence(against protestant children) I was about 7 years old. So ,it's no biggie for me to obey that law. However,I do not support that law because of its repressive nature..

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
For Christianity apostasy is worse than simple unbelief. From the Epistle to the Hebrews, 6:

1 Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, 2 of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. 3 And this we will do if God permits. 4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame. 7 For the earth which drinks in the rain that often comes upon it, and bears herbs useful for those by whom it is cultivated, receives blessing from God; 8 but if it bears thorns and briers, it is rejected and near to being cursed, whose end is to be burned.

Similar History Discussions