Civil War outcome...

Jun 2019
United States
What would of been the outcome of the Civil War had the South been able to get aid from the French during the war?

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I think it is interesting to think what would happen to Mexico in this case. The US Civil War coincided with the French invasion of Mexico so it is interesting to think how the official French recognition and aid to the CSA affect French campaign there. Let's say the North still wins. Would the USA want to exact some revenge on the French by fighting them in Mexico? Would the South ask the French to transport some of their troops from Mexico to help the South? Would the South try to curry favour with France by helping them in Mexico? We do know after their defeat, around 2000 Southerners fought for the French in Mexico.

Reactions: Futurist
Jun 2019
United States
I think it is interesting to think what would happen to Mexico in this case. The US Civil War coincided with the French invasion of Mexico so it is interesting to think how the official French recognition and aid to the CSA affect French campaign there. Let's say the North still wins. Would the USA want to exact some revenge on the French by fighting them in Mexico? Would the South ask the French to transport some of their troops from Mexico to help the South? Would the South try to curry favour with France by helping them in Mexico? We do know after their defeat, around 2000 Southerners fought for the French in Mexico.
Yea that is very interesting I honestly didn't even thunk of that. I wonder if this country might have ended up truly being split up into two nations if that happened?

Jun 2019
United States
I don't think much would have changed. The north still had a lot of manpower and material in reserve. Might have taken longer though :(
Yea the North famously had so many units in reserve at the end of the war that many never saw any combat at all. I just wonder if France had provided troops and resources if things would be different. I know that the South had arguably better military commanders in charge, and if they had more manpower and resources they may have had enough to win.

May 2019
Salt Lake City, Utah
If the French helped? Not a whole lot, I think. But . . .

. . . if the French and the British helped the CSA, the British Navy would have interdicted the Anaconda Plan and may have New Orleans and changed the riverine war on the interior rivers.

Reactions: WarWolfeX
Jun 2017
Connecticut
South likely gains independence because the French have a route to support them through Mexico. Remember for the French to have gotten involved in the first place it would meant things were going very badly for us in the first place.

Reactions: Futurist