Clandestinus history

Feb 2018
Poland
Hello

In this very thread i would like to begin with this video (which i believe got "famous" last time) , and to listen exactly to what people in it say

The law that is being cited in this video is Polish Institute of National Remembrance enactement about "who accuses Polish Nation or Polish State of RESPONSIBILITY or CO-RESPONSILIBITY for crimes made by III German Reich stated in [...] or in any other way drastically reduces responsilibity of actual perpetrators of these crimes is underlying a penalty of fine or prison sentence to 3 years".

The jewish authorities got outraged about that situation, especially Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu saying:“We will under no circumstances accept any attempt to rewrite history,” (Oh the irony!) and “The Polish Prime Minister’s remarks here in Munich are outrageous. There is a problem here of an inability to understand history and a lack of sensitivity to the tragedy of our people.”

The core word here is of course history and understanding it which Mr Netanyahu doesen't seem to do.

I would like to know EVERY statement of EVERY one of you after watching this video.

I didn't put this topic into political forum, because i expect it to develop very quickly into topic about (not)showing the whole history of horrific and despicable act that is called World War II

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I don't see how the Polish nation or state can be held responsible for the Holocaust. There may or may not be some individual Poles who bear personal responsibility.

Lawyers could have a field day with the phrase 'reduce responsibility of actual perpetrators.' If a Pole informed a German of some Jews who were trying to escape the Holocaust, both the Pole and the German bear some responsibility for what happened to the Jews. Neither the Pole nor the German gets a free pass because each bears only partial responsibility.

As to Prime Minister Netanyahu's remarks, he's a politician and one should always take a politician's remarks with a grain of salt. When he talks about history and sensitivity in the same sentence, those are inherently contradictory terms. History must be faithful to the truth, not to people's feelings. History that supports and sustains people's feelings probably isn't very good history.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
We already had a thread here about the “Polish Concentration camps”, a terminology that apparently induced miss informed people in error, it seems that we just have to clarify that were German concentration camps in Poland.

Anyway, making history with laws doesn’t seem a good idea.

Feb 2018
Poland
We already had a thread here about the “Polish Concentration camps”, a terminology that apparently induced miss informed people in error, it seems that we just have to clarify that were German concentration camps in Poland.

Anyway, making history with laws doesn’t seem a good idea.
I believe this enactment was mainly targeted towards the situation with "Polish concentration camps" to counter this misinformation, that actually very strongly strikes into polish history and polish nation.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I believe this enactment was mainly targeted towards the situation with "Polish concentration camps" to counter this misinformation, that actually very strongly strikes into polish history and polish nation.
Ignorance and missinformation strikes us all and not just the Polish history and the Polish nation.

Feb 2018
Poland
Ignorance and missinformation strikes us all and not just the Polish history and the Polish nation.
I understand every nation and every person that it hits, but i related to the very situation in Poland meaning no disrespect and incomprehension to anyone.

Lucius

Forum Staff
Jan 2007
Nebraska
I'm sorry?

Would you kindly explain me the term "speculative"? Because i think some terrible misunderstanding took place.
You wrote, "i would like to begin with this video (which i believe got "famous" last time) , and to listen exactly to what people in it say."

To "listen" is to try to figure out what people say and that includes speculation about they were talking about.

Feb 2018
Poland
To "listen" is to try to figure out what people say and that includes speculation about they were talking about.
To "listen", (in this and any other context) is to put what other people say, under crushing judgement of facts and history. If you listen and have to figure out what people say, i'm afraid your very basic education has some deficiencies.

Similiar History Discussions History Forum Date
Asian History
Asian History
North American History
General History

Similar History Discussions