Classroom Management

Comet

Forum Staff
Aug 2006
IA
Fred Jones is an excellent source of classroom management techniques. Any other techniques out there you all might be aware of? We could all use some additional firepower when it comes to dealing with our students.

Mar 2009
Ohio
Someone should write a book on classroom management in the final 30 days of a school year! What are some ideas to keep them focused until the end of classes? any good ones?

Comet

Forum Staff
Aug 2006
IA
Someone should write a book on classroom management in the final 30 days of a school year! What are some ideas to keep them focused until the end of classes? any good ones?

Despite some of the mini issues, I'm having a pretty successful end of the year. My kids are finishing up their poster boards for an end of the year showing about a topic in the Medieval and Renaissance period. I think giving them an end of the year, culminating project does get them eagerly engaged. However, my pacing guide is so flexible, that it seems as if I really don't have a pacing guide...if that makes sense.

Anyone else have a another idea?

Mar 2009
Ohio
Despite some of the mini issues, I'm having a pretty successful end of the year. My kids are finishing up their poster boards for an end of the year showing about a topic in the Medieval and Renaissance period. I think giving them an end of the year, culminating project does get them eagerly engaged. However, my pacing guide is so flexible, that it seems as if I really don't have a pacing guide...if that makes sense.

I think you might be right about a culminating project. I am in the process oc making a world history time line with one of my Jr. High classes. Each of them have a century to research and we uniform them so when finished all of the centuries will fit together to form a 40 foot time line representing the 8th century - today. That class is doing really well.

May 2007
Australia

Comet, my sister is a teacher of kids just a bit older than your ones and she was telling me of problems with parents who dont like their little angels being criticized How do you handle mad parent syndrome.?

Comet

Forum Staff
Aug 2006
IA
Comet, my sister is a teacher of kids just a bit older than your ones and she was telling me of problems with parents who dont like their little angels being criticized How do you handle mad parent syndrome.?
It depends on the situation. If the parent is constantly causing issues, I would schedule a parent meeting with administration sitting in. We have a parent here who wants to be contacted every time her son does something. When she doesn't get the phone call, she will scream at the teachers telling them they don't know how to teach. That is a situation where you have to have administrative help. Fortunately, I got on that parent's good side and avoided any sort of confrontation with her.

On the other hand, if its a once or twice thing, I would just assure the parent that you are trying to do whatever it takes to makes sure the child has opportunities to be successful. I would also mention that the student is missing opportunities to be successful by behaving the way that they do in class. It's a diplomatic approach...you are telling the parent that you are doing what you can to make sure he's successful but also relaying the message that the student is blowing his changes of doing well.

ttanner, TJ, any other thoughts?

Similar History Discussions