Classroom Management

Spartacuss

Ad Honorem
Jul 2010
Georgia, USA
Yes, discipline issues are just as much of a problem here as they are there.

Management is something that can't really be taught. Universities talk their heads off about how to combat classroom management. Yet, when you step into your own classroom for the first time and they start testing you, what you learned doesn't seem to work. That's because each classroom is different. Each child is different. Each teacher is different in how they perceive management.

From my experience, there are three major points of emphasis when dealing with management:

1. Getting to know your students will allow you to better gauge how to deal with behaviors.

2. Mastering what you teach will help you create lessons that are geared towards your student's interest. This goes back to point one. Once you have a good understanding of your kids it becomes easier to prepare for them.

3. Having high expectations on what is acceptable and what is not will go along way to classroom success. Don't ever waiver on your expectations. If you second guess yourself, your students have you right where they want you. They can tell that you are not genuine in what you say or that you aren't a teacher that will follow through. Stick to your gameplan and your kids will eventually play follow the leader.

I hope this helps. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. Between coaching and teaching, it's been a rough go this year.
Well, those are the priorities to be sure. I admire your sticking with them. Btw, that paper of my daughter's we talked of earlier has been submitted for grading as part of her semester finals for her masters. As promised, I will send it out to you when she says it can. She wants to be sure it passes academic muster before it is shared. She should have her grade by the end of the week. Should I pm it to you in here, post it as a credited essay, or email it?

Comet

Forum Staff
Aug 2006
IA
Well, those are the priorities to be sure. I admire your sticking with them. Btw, that paper of my daughter's we talked of earlier has been submitted for grading as part of her semester finals for her masters. As promised, I will send it out to you when she says it can. She wants to be sure it passes academic muster before it is shared. She should have her grade by the end of the week. Should I pm it to you in here, post it as a credited essay, or email it?
Let me know when its good to go and I will PM you my email address. Thanks for remembering me :)

Sep 2014
USA
Harry Wong - The First Days of School has a solid classroom management plan that I more or less use still today - with some tweaks.

Like some of you have said, the underlying principle of having clearly stated rules and consistently adhering to them can go a long way.

It is easier to maintain a set of rules from the beginning of the year than it is to introduce them midway through.

Similar History Discussions