Commander with most battles won in history?

No one loses a skirmish?
I think a skirmish should be an encounter involving very small numbers of men, but I don't know how one determines what that number would be. It would also be relative, since the average Medieval European battle involves smaller numbers than the average Roman battle, which involves smaller numbers than the average ancient/medieval Chinese battle.

Mar 2018
UK
Rather than counting battles, maybe we should sum up the size of all the armies a general defeated? And then normalise by the total population of that region of the world at the time (or something similar) in order to not massively inflate anything modern. That way, we get rid of the dichotomy between a skirmish and a "real battle", while still making a "real battle" count for a lot more.

Jul 2018
Pakistan
Keep in mind that a lot of the "battles" that al-Walid is credited as winning are little more than skirmishes that have been inflated to be "battles" by people with a vested interest in showing his greatness and superiority.

I would say Napoleon is the likely choice. Almost every engagement he was victorious in was a pitched battle - he fought only two sieges in his life - and all of them involved at least ten thousand men on one side or the other. He apparently fought around 60 pitched battles and won almost all of them, losing only four or five (mostly towards the end of his career).
You're right. The actual number of pitched battles fought by Khalid is around 50-55 (all of which are listed on his tomb). Only after adding all the skirmishes and duels do you arrive at the figure of 100 plus engagements.
And I agree Napoleon is the likely choice rivaled only by Subedei who fought 65 battles, winning at least 60.

Oct 2012
I think a skirmish should be an encounter involving very small numbers of men, but I don't know how one determines what that number would be. It would also be relative, since the average Medieval European battle involves smaller numbers than the average Roman battle, which involves smaller numbers than the average ancient/medieval Chinese battle.
Small numbers and short duration usually, I don`t think there is any official parameters.

Similar History Discussions