Commonwealth misconceptions

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
Nigeria is a failed state. It does not really have a "government."
The current president of Nigeria has, in the past - when he was a presidential candidate, but had not actually won in any election after repeated attempts - made multiple statements essentially condoning violent activity if, in his view, Nigeria's presidential elections were not free and fair. He was investigated in 2011 by a government panel for the role that certain comments that he made before the 2011 election may have played in the post-election violence that was carried out by his supporters after his loss. In 2012, he made remarks about the country's next elections, in 2015, and how they would possibly be "bloody" if he did not consider them to be free and fair. Since he won that one, there were no massacres carried out by his supporters. If he had lost, it might have been a bloodbath even worse than the 2011 violence.

As for his presidency, he has, of course, achieved very little (despite padded "lists of achievements" that his presidency has published repeatedly) and has even had to spend months away from his job because he was not even medically fit for the position he had campaigned for years to win. After all the fiery speeches and threats - threats which probably were the cause of the violence in 2011 that left hundreds dead - when he actually wins the presidency, he does very little of substance while in office, and it turns out that he is not even physically fit for the position.

This is the sort of person that was elected president of one of the most populous countries in the world.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
There aren't really many organisations like it in the world today, and the closest examples are La Francophonie, and the Ibero-American union, which form the same basis of ex-colonial areas for France and Spain respectively. I think the King of Spain, Felipe, is the head of his union as much as the British Queen is the head of the Commonwealth.
A note: As far as I know, there isn’t any Ibero-American Union.

There is a Organization of Ibero-American States, that is Ibero (meaning Portugal and Spain) and American (including all American countries that Speak Spanish and Portuguese - Brazil), plus Equatorial Guinea (don’t ask me why!). The current king of Spain is the head of state of one of the countries members with equal powers to the rest of the head of States, but has also the honorary presidency. The organization has two official languages: the Spanish and the Portuguese, naturally has there are only two Speaking Portuguese countries, the Spanish is more spoken:

https://www.oei.es/en

So, the Ibero-American Union is not an organization with Spain and its former colonies.

For a somewhat “similar” organization to commonwealth you can mention CPLP, with Portuguese speaking countries (again don’t ask me why Equatorial Guinea was included!):

https://www.cplp.org/

I don’t recall if there is a Spanish similar organization, unless you count the “Association of Academies of the Spanish Language” as such.

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
It is not really an election, and that is your issue.
That's the irony. It was an election, and it was completely free and fair, and in fact it was praised as such by international observers for its transparency. In fact the unnecessary praise for the merit and fairness of the election gave him an added but undeserved layer of legitimacy.

That is yet another problem. The burden of having such an individual in that position, and for him to be able to get to that position legally and without any tricks or anything underhanded, is yet another reason why that country shouldn't continue to exist as one unit. This is someone who was absent from his own presidency for over 100 days but would not relinquish power to anyone that was actually healthy, and despite this behavior his many tens of millions of braindead supporters are as passionate about him as ever.

And by the way, this person shouldn't in fact be my issue, although you probably assumed that he should be. He should be in some other country, maybe surrounded by likeminded people from a similar culture, or in some place where it is somehow acceptable to treat roaming bands of armed marauders with kid gloves.

But anyway, Nigeria is not any better than Myanmar in any way, yet I bet that if the president of Nigeria were to show up at some commonwealth meeting, everything I've mentioned here would just be swept under the rug or ignored. So yeah, despite the "Harare Declaration" the commonwealth may just be some sort of glorified social club.

Jul 2010
N/A
That's the irony. It was an election, and it was completely free and fair, and in fact it was praised as such by international observers for its transparency. In fact the unnecessary praise for the merit and fairness of the election gave him an added but undeserved layer of legitimacy.

That is yet another problem. The burden of having such an individual in that position, and for him to be able to get to that position legally and without any tricks or anything underhanded, is yet another reason why that country shouldn't continue to exist as one unit. This is someone who was absent from his own presidency for over 100 days but would not relinquish power to anyone that was actually healthy, and despite this behavior his many tens of millions of braindead supporters are as passionate about him as ever.

And by the way, this person shouldn't in fact be my issue, although you probably assumed that he should be. He should be in some other country, maybe surrounded by likeminded people from a similar culture, or in some place where it is somehow acceptable to treat roaming bands of armed marauders with kid gloves.

But anyway, Nigeria is not any better than Myanmar in any way, yet I bet that if the president of Nigeria were to show up at some commonwealth meeting, everything I've mentioned here would just be swept under the rug or ignored. So yeah, despite the "Harare Declaration" the commonwealth may just be some sort of glorified social club.
I don't know anything really beyond the limited things a person has to say as a bare minimum in a western country for my level of training. I can only say that is still an irregular election.

Where people can make more money in Nigeria being pirates and terrorists then you have the biggest problem highlighted. There is money to be made in Nigeria and lots of natural resources. Unfortunately the people there are a little bit too chaotic. I did one course on peace and conflict studies that had a few subjects with Nigeria in it. It's not really anything I know about specifically.

I'm an analyst though, I'm supposed to know lots of little things about everything and not much about anything in particular and this is particularly the case when it comes to Africa. Almost nobody bothers to study anything about Africa in the west. Everything is a little bit crazy and nobody really wants to fix most things in Africa, or have anything much to do with it in general.

Last edited:

antocya

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Iraq
To the judges and barristers still wear those wigs in a lot of the commonwealth countries?