Communists selling humans during the Cold War

Dec 2017
Regnum Teutonicum
@heylouis and Lalli
I think both are valid perspectives. Israel and Germany could see this as either "we are buying our people, so they can be free" or "we are giving economic assistance to Romania, so they let a specified number of our people move to our country". I don't see why using money for getting jews out of a dictatorship would be an insult for Israel.

@bbomer
The point of this thread is, that I wanted to know, if this happened elsewhere or with other people during the Cold War.
I didn't find any english language sources. How are the rules of the forum if I posted non-english language ones - would I have to translate all of them?

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
@heylouis and Lalli
I think both are valid perspectives. Israel and Germany could see this as either "we are buying our people, so they can be free" or "we are giving economic assistance to Romania, so they let a specified number of our people move to our country". I don't see why using money for getting jews out of a dictatorship would be an insult for Israel.
DID ROMANIA SOLD JEWS?

this is history forum. so it is not about your perspective
DID ISRAEL BUY JEWS?

Nov 2018
Russian Federation
I wonder how many communist countries were involved in human trafficking during the Cold War.

Romania started selling its german minorities (Transylvanian Saxons, Banat Swabians, Banat Mountain Land Germans (or how are they called in english?), Zipser Germans and so on) to Germany sporadically since 1950 and continuously since 1962 or 1963. It is not known how much Germany paid to buy thousands of germans free, but there are estimates for over one billion DM in money and stuff like hunting rifles, cars and other vehicles as well as medical equipment. And it doesn't include the money the minorities had to pay and bribe themselves.

Additionally Romania sold Jews to Israel for money as well as chicken farms and other agricultural goods.

In another case Germany bought thousands of political prisoners from the GDR for more than 3.4 billion DM.

Nicolae Ceausescu said in 1977:
"Oil, Jews and Germans are our most important export commodities."

Do you know other examples?
i guess that's why Ceausescu was shot. karma hits frostbitten communists

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
I wonder why the generalisation "Communists selling humans" and not "Communist Romania"? Is there a spotlight intended on the fact that Romania was Communist during that era? Or that it were Communists that did that?

Similar History Discussions