Communists selling humans during the Cold War

Dec 2017
Regnum Teutonicum
@Solidaire
As Lalli wrote I asked if there were other communist countries that did it. And the thread is not communist Romania, as I already mention one other communist entity, that did it, the GDR.

@hunnictraveller
There were hundreds of reasons he ended up shot, including some really crazy.

@heylouis
1. Please don't use capital letters, it is like screaming.
2. I know even less about the Israel case than the Germany case, but I suspect it is similar. A person negotiates inofficially for the government with romanian negotiators. The romanians prefer different prices in different categories per head (e.g. one category is retired people, one category is academics, one category is craftsmen), alter it was the same (higher) price for everyone. Sometimes additional presents have to be made, like a hunting rifle or dentist tools. A certain amount of people is expected to be recieved. The romanian government lets a certain amount of people leave the country (those people have to pay bribes often several times in certain foreign currency as well, though it was illegal to posses foreign currency). When the people arrive they are counted. At the end of the month the money for those, which are counted is given in various ways to Securitate agents. It is important to note that the people who were bought from Romania, were people who wanted to leave the country.

Oct 2013
Europix
The question raised is more than valid, IMHO : why using the "selling humans"?

Germany and Israel did paid (in different forms) Communist Romania for letting ethnic Germans and Jews emigrating. But as someone said, it would be more appropriate to call it ransom.

As for the Communist Romania, the more appropriate term would be extortion.

A double extortion, as besides benefiting from German/Israel state's money/advantageous commercial exchanges/etc it also forced the Germans/Jews leaving to "donate" to the Romanian state their valuables (be that a garden, a painting or a book collection).

Until now, Romania is the only communist country I've heard of in this case.

Last edited:
Oct 2013
Europix
2. I know even less about the Israel case than the Germany case, but I suspect it is similar. A person negotiates inofficially for the government with romanian negotiators. The romanians prefer different prices in different categories per head (e.g. one category is retired people, one category is academics, one category is craftsmen), alter it was the same (higher) price for everyone. Sometimes additional presents have to be made, like a hunting rifle or dentist tools. A certain amount of people is expected to be recieved. The romanian government lets a certain amount of people leave the country (those people have to pay bribes often several times in certain foreign currency as well, though it was illegal to posses foreign currency). When the people arrive they are counted. At the end of the month the money for those, which are counted is given in various ways to Securitate agents. It is important to note that the people who were bought from Romania, were people who wanted to leave the country.
Otto, there are a couple of very specific details in that part. I've heard about a good part of them (some not) but I never found precise, reliable sources. Just hear saying (tho some of them very credible).

Do You have some sources on all that?

Dec 2017
Regnum Teutonicum
@deaf tuner
As I stated twice in this thread, the GDR also was involved in this practice.

As for the sources, my question about foreign language sources hasn't been answered, but I have searched youtube and found the following video. I think you would agree, that someone like Genscher is a valid source?

I am not sure if "ransom" is the right word. Would you say someone ransomed a slave, instead of someone sold a slave? The reasons is like slaves the people were locked up in the country (I know, not a perfect example). To ransom someone you have to kidnap him first, I think.

Mar 2013
Kirkcaldy, Scotland
Communists involved in human traficking ?i.e selling people for cash is total baloney. There is no historical evidence for this and any 'evidence' that does exist is as phoney as the 1924 'Zinioev ' letter -a forged document used to destabalise the democratically elected Labour Govt in 1923..
Selling humans against their wills was the bedrock of capitalism for many many centuries and it is laughable when somebody tries to forget this . There was no Communist Manifestos when Britain Europe and the USA for its fist 90 years as as a state practised slavery.
Even pogroms i.e mini holocausts against the Jews were a non- Communist invention.The Czarist secret police published the virulantly anti Semitic 'THE PROTOCOLS OF TH ELDERS OF ZION ' in the 19th century which the Nazis also used in their Holocaust persecution of the Jews.
I suggest you revise your study of Communism as slavery was a mainstay of capatilism not Communidm .although the use of Gulags by Stalin did introduce some element of slavery but gulag labour was not sold as African slaves were but used to cut prioductive costs.

Dec 2017
Regnum Teutonicum
@Pendennis
When you deny, that there were communist countries involved in human traficking (or however you want to call it), do you think there is a conspiration of romanian ex-Securitate, romanian ex-police, a romanian documentary maker, german people who were born in Romania, lawyers, and several high ranking german politicans from several administration (center left and center)? I suggest you research this little known part of at least two communist regimes a little bit.

I didn't write that communist countries were involved in slavery.

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
@Pendennis
When you deny, that there were communist countries involved in human traficking (or however you want to call it), do you think there is a conspiration of romanian ex-Securitate, romanian ex-police, a romanian documentary maker, german people who were born in Romania, lawyers, and several high ranking german politicans from several administration (center left and center)? I suggest you research this little known part of at least two communist regimes a little bit.

I didn't write that communist countries were involved in slavery.
A communist country. Singular not plural! It should be noted behavior of this state within the WP reflected its increasingly autonomous foreign policy during the last decades of communism and Ceausescu was quite famous in the First world as an anti-Soviet maverick. This is not your ordinary Soviet satellite, after all Romania was awarded most favored nation trading status by Reagan administration during the times of Ceausescu.

Similar History Discussions