Comparing Mughal, Qing, Safavid, Ottoman and European Militaries in 1680.

Most powerful Military system in 1680

• Mughals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Safavids

• Qings

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Aug 2014
India
  • SSDD

SSDD

So if we compare the military equipment, techniques of these 5 armies in 1680 , which would appear more effective? In 1680, Socket bayonets were not still common. Pike and shot was followed in Europe. Dont know about Ottomans. Both Mughals and Safavids had cavalry centric army, specialized matchlock musketeers, same with China, I think.

Ottomans and Europeans clashed and Europeans emerged victorious, on other hand, in Kandahar, Mughals and Safavids clashed and Safavids won having better cannon technologies. In China, at least late Ming firearms were incapable of piercing Manchu armour, besides Qing cavalry was expert in horse archery.

Mar 2012
Camel mounted artillery was already becoming the main field piece by the Kangxi era, foremost is the Zimu cannon or half pounders mounted on camels. The Qing fought the Zunghars who used large musket Zamuraks mounted on camels. The Zimu cannon was more powerful but the Zamburak fired further and was lighter to transport.

At this time European powers were yet the top in military power. Ottoman had yet a medieval military system with the janissers to the centre, and the janissereies had become a caste in Ottoman society, everyday less efficient in combat and against every modernization and capable to depose the sultans. Safavids also had a system similat to Ottomans, but ander Abbas I were created a corp of musketters and an artillery one with the help of english if'i'm not wrong. The Moghul army was organizer by mansabdar system, feudal and inefficient, so despite the large number of men that could rise wasn't so good. I honestly don't know the Qing.

Aug 2014
India
  • SSDD

SSDD

Camel mounted artillery was already becoming the main field piece by the Kangxi era, foremost is the Zimu cannon or half pounders mounted on camels. The Qing fought the Zunghars who used large musket Zamuraks mounted on camels. The Zimu cannon was more powerful but the Zamburak fired further and was lighter to transport.
What was the lock system Manchus used? Mughals used only Matchlock, Europeans had Matchlock, Snaphance, Doglock and Wheellock. Typical Qing army infantry weapons?

@Naomasa298 Is it possible to make the Poll option's public? I messed up in new lay out.

Mar 2012
The Safavid, Central Eurasian and Qing were quite different in system to the Ottomans. The later, like Europeans focused more on fewer heavier field artillery, whereas the Persians used large amounts of lighter artillery pieces mounted on camels called Zamburaks.

Similar History Discussions