Comparison of Attaturk and Reza Khan Pahlavi

Sep 2009
Hello all, Ive got a midterm coming up on the History of the Middle East. There are a few questions that I would like to throw out there and get some ideas and discussions on, as this seems to help me alot.

One of the biggest ones im looking at is the comparison and contrast of Attaturk and Reza Khan Pahlavi.

Thanks for your input

Bryce

Comet

Forum Staff
Aug 2006
IA
Hello all, Ive got a midterm coming up on the History of the Middle East. There are a few questions that I would like to throw out there and get some ideas and discussions on, as this seems to help me alot.

One of the biggest ones im looking at is the comparison and contrast of Attaturk and Reza Khan Pahlavi.

Thanks for your input

Bryce
Can you give us a starting point? I think if you talk about what you know about each man, you will find it will come to you.

Sep 2009
well here are the notes that I have so far:

Although reza shah never articulated his goals with the clarity of Ataturk, his reforms were intended to accomplish in Iran similar to that which was achieving in turkey. But Reza Shah’s background and political attitudes were more akin to those of Muhammad Ali of the nineteenth century Egypts. Reza Shah is highly regarded as a reformer, and he was, but his reforms were selective and were not intended to restructure the existing political order. Rather than revise the constitution, he just chose to ignore it. Secularism was a central component of Reza Shah’s regime, as it was in turkey. Reza’s most successful reforms were in education.

Attaturk was an established member of the ottoman ruling elite and who sought to enshrine the principle of popular sovereignty in the new Turkish constitution, whereas Reza Shah was a militart usurper whos political objectives was to consolidate his own power and secure his son’s succession to the throne.

Jun 2018
Istanbul - London
Ataturk and Reza Shah

Hello guys I am new in this forum. I am looking for sources and any help for my dissertation topic. So I am searching this two powerful leaders on the basis of ''GENDER''. So, what are the similarities and differences about their state feminism ?

And guys could u please recommend me some books, articles, website... MANY THANKS!

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA

Could you be more specific, on the kinds of comparisons? Both men tried to modernize their deeply Islamic countries. Both made progress. But Iran slide back to medieval Islam after the 1979 revolution. Turkey is slowly sliding back also. So it is too early to tell if Attaturk's changes would be lasting.

There is one thing that is for sure when it comes to Islamic countries. Modernistic changes can not be lasting, because Islam will always come back and take the country back to its medieval culture.