Concept of honor and how it was built?

Nov 2013
Nwooruna
Are wars in modern times sometimes ritually based despite ourselves believing to the contrary? Is that what the military industrial complex is partly responsible for? The creation of the honor system? What does it mean to say "there is honor to be had"? Is this related to the tomb of the forgotten solider?

Sep 2013
UK
Are wars in modern times sometimes ritually based despite ourselves believing to the contrary? Is that what the military industrial complex is partly responsible for? The creation of the honor system? What does it mean to say "there is honor to be had"? Is this related to the tomb of the forgotten solider?
It is propaganda to increase manpower, very genius too. A country can never have too many people willing to die for their country/corporations.

Nov 2013
Nwooruna
It is propaganda to increase manpower, very genius too. A country can never have too many people willing to die for their country/corporations.
Is it only propaganda? Like a repeated commercial? Or is it something deeper and much more disappointing or exhilarating depending on who you are?

Nov 2013
Canada
Isn't honor a hold over from medieval times. You had the elite knights that a whole village had to work to support. You had honor and chivalry and a whole host of virtues mythically attributed to the knights. Sounds like justification to support him..
"You have to come home with your shield, or on it." Someone once told me was a common expression(I'm sure he was misguided), because you can't run from a battle and carry your heavy shied at the same time.
We all know how the military respects and sometimes even almost worship their history. The men have not changed just the weapons.

Port

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
portland maine
Isn't honor a hold over from medieval times. You had the elite knights that a whole village had to work to support. You had honor and chivalry and a whole host of virtues mythically attributed to the knights. Sounds like justification to support him..
"You have to come home with your shield, or on it." Someone once told me was a common expression(I'm sure he was misguided), because you can't run from a battle and carry your heavy shied at the same time.
We all know how the military respects and sometimes even almost worship their history. The men have not changed just the weapons.
Could someone offer how the definition of honor changed or differed between the greek, roman period to the middle ages to maybe present day marines?

Nov 2013
New York City
Honor is a very interesting idea.

It can be said honor was created out of the development of man. Without society there is no honor. It's about fighting for the thing that is bigger than you, but that you can save. I believe a lot of people are misguided as to what honor is, and a lot of people attempt to misguide others.

@Cimbaregion, you made a really good suggestion stating it's part of the military industrial complex, I believe it partially is in a very misguided way. Almost all of us here have heard the statement, "support our troops". What does that mean? What do they want you to make it mean? A lot of people state that when someone asks why does America go into conflicts in so in so? People defend this by stating, "you have to support our troops!"

Now I do support our troops. (meaning any countries troops I Just happen to reside in America) I support our troops enough to question the leadership of our troops.

Honor is as old as man, what it truly means and what many make it out to mean are two very different things, and we must always remember that.

caldrail

Ad Honorem
Feb 2012
Honour is a concept we find in human beings going right back into antiquity and probably beyond. It's a manifestation of ordinary social behaviour in that a group begins to dictate the standards of conformal behaviour and loses status if the individual doesn't conform.

Nov 2013
Nwooruna
Honour is a concept we find in human beings going right back into antiquity and probably beyond. It's a manifestation of ordinary social behaviour in that a group begins to dictate the standards of conformal behaviour and loses status if the individual doesn't conform.
So the man that ceases to conform automatically becomes dishonorable? What about all the German scientists that went to the American side?

Spartacuss

Ad Honorem
Jul 2010
Georgia, USA
Since the op seems to seek the military applications to the word, it's view of honor is made clear to a recruit almost from day one. The military considers it a bonus if a new troop arrives instilled with the concept from his upbringing.

The US Army's TRADOC Pam 600-4, also known as the Blue Book, is given to every new recruit. It gives the direction the army wants to steer it's soldiers in toward it's standard of honor. Take a look, if you wish. Pages 14 and 15 seem pertinent to the matter.

http://www.tradoc.army.mil/tpubs/pams/tp600-4.pdf

Nov 2013
Canada
So the man that ceases to conform automatically becomes dishonorable? What about all the German scientists that went to the American side?
If they left while their country was at war,And they left to join the enemy of their country.. It's simple.
They were traitors to their country.
Like snowden is considered a traitor.
No matter how much good you do, working against your county's interests (or your family, or your company, or your wife's, or your husbands, or your.....)
Your a traitor.

Blood is thicker than water
Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.
Better dead than red
My country right or wrong.

Blah blah blah.