Confederate flag flown in WWII!

Oct 2017
Austin, TX
I'm also a member of the American Civil War forums and there was an interesting thread posted there a few days ago about this.

On May 21, 1945 the Marines stormed Shuri Castle in the battle of Okinawa. The Marine captain leading the unit was from the south and carried a small Stars & Bars under his helmet. When they reached the top, he ran up the flag over the castle at the high point where it remained for a couple of days until replaced by the Stars & Stripes.

Photo was attached to the post showing the event.

Jun 2016
Oregon
When I worked in the Middle East and as part of our 'bug out bags' I included a Confederate Flag. The reason is if I needed to signal someone - and I intended to bug out by taking a fishing boat - the bad guys would recognize the US flag but the Confederate would probably only be recognized by an American and hopefully the US ships in the Gulf would not shoot at it.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I'm also a member of the American Civil War forums and there was an interesting thread posted there a few days ago about this.

On May 21, 1945 the Marines stormed Shuri Castle in the battle of Okinawa. The Marine captain leading the unit was from the south and carried a small Stars & Bars under his helmet. When they reached the top, he ran up the flag over the castle at the high point where it remained for a couple of days until replaced by the Stars & Stripes.

Photo was attached to the post showing the event.
I believe that Shuri Castle was in the southern part of Okinawa.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Pedro

Forum Staff
Mar 2008
On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
When I worked in the Middle East and as part of our 'bug out bags' I included a Confederate Flag. The reason is if I needed to signal someone - and I intended to bug out by taking a fishing boat - the bad guys would recognize the US flag but the Confederate would probably only be recognized by an American and hopefully the US ships in the Gulf would not shoot at it.
Extra points for creativity.

Offspring

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
România
Nice!

Pedro

Forum Staff
Mar 2008
On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
More info on "the flag" from the internet.

Once the castle had been taken, Dusenberg took off his helmet and removed a flag he had been carrying for just such a special occasion. He raised the flag at the highest point of the castle and let loose with a rebel yell. The flag waving overhead was not the Stars and Stripes, but the Confederate Stars and Bars. Most of the Marines joined in the yell, but a disapproving New Englander supposedly remarked, “What does he want now? Should we sing ‘Dixie?'”
MG Andrew Bruce, the commanding general of the 77th Division, protested to the 10th Army that the Marines had stolen his prize. But LTG Buckner only mildly chided MajGen del Valle saying, “How can I be sore at him? My father fought under that flag!”
LTG Buckner’s father was the Confederate BG Buckner who had surrendered Fort Donelson to then-BG Ulysses S. Grant in 1862.

Similar History Discussions