Confederate flag flown in WWII!

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Did the US army person come from the South? I suspect it was because of this, or he just did it for the hell of it.

Or thought he could get away with it before some high-ranking officer saw it, and he would get busted for not following protocol.

It would be like some proud Scottish officer in Normandy temporarily hoisting a St. Andrew's Cross before he replaced it with a Union flag.
He was a native of South Carolina.

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
"They" didn't feel it was important to raise the Confederate flag.

The captain who led the unit that captured Shuri Castle, a South Carolina native, took a rebel flag that had been in his helmet throughout the battle and ran it over the castle's ruins. It was an on the spot decision made by one man in the middle of a battle. Eugene Sledge, who served in the same regiment (though a different company) stated in With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa that the news that the rebel flag had been raised over Shuri was greeted by cheers from the Southerners, grumbles from the Yankees, and confusion from the Westerners.

The company the captain commanded, Alpha Co 1st Battalion 5th Marine Regiment, was composed of men from all over the United States, not just states of the former Confederacy. That was true of all the regulars of the US Army and Marine Corps, and only National Guard units would have had regional identities.

The rebel flag was later replaced by an American flag.
Of course, the American Civil War (ACW) was only about 80 years in the past, so there were probably southerners who wanted to make some stupid and ill-considered gesture of defiance - but defiance against whom? Frankly, and this is purely my personal opinion, I find the raising of any confederate flag to be completely disgraceful. Whatever the flag-raiser’s motivations were, I do not know, but it had no place whatsoever in our fight against the Japanese unless the person who did it somehow thinks that a flag that represents slavery was a good thing to display.

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
If the captain had been a Texan, the Lone Star probably would have gone up over Shuri Castle instead of the Stars & Bars!

Because Texas entered the Union as a republic, I believe that it's the only state flag that can be flown at the same level as the Stars & Stripes - not below it.
This sounds like typical overweening pride that is not pridweorthy. No, the Texas flag has zero priority or equality with the US flag and never takes precedence over the US flag.

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Did the US army person come from the South? I suspect it was because of this, or he just did it for the hell of it.

Or thought he could get away with it before some high-ranking officer saw it, and he would get busted for not following protocol.

It would be like some proud Scottish officer in Normandy temporarily hoisting a St. Andrew's Cross before he replaced it with a Union flag.
C’Mon, the flag was intended to be a finger in the eyes of all those who saw it. There is NOTHING about the Civil War that was either acceptable or welcome in the homes of those who fought to preserve the Union and the dyspeptic Southerners who fought to preserve and extend chattel slavery.

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Found a source through Wikipedia of an account of the incident. The Confederate Battle Flag by John M. Coski says that the soldiers were a "self-styled 'Rebel Company'" and quoted the soldiers explaining that they did it "Just to show that the South is now willing to do its bit for the Union." However negatively Northern soldiers might have responded to the act, at least the intentions of the southerners were good.
I very much doubt this. Had I been there, I would have ripped that racist flag from its mast.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
Soldiers are knuckleheads sometimes. Isn't the first time, won't be the last. These things aren't exactly offenses that rank up there with Abu Graib or My Lai.

Vietnam

Iraq

Aussie troops in Afghanistan

Similar History Discussions