Confederate flag flown in WWII!

Sep 2014
Texas
What did te South have to be proud about?
You are looking at this with 21st century eyes. Politics we're very different.

As to what they had to be proud about? Hard working, God fearing, and butt kicking. It's something that comes from the inside, something you do not need permission to feel. A we survived this moment.

Sep 2014
Texas
Soldiers are knuckleheads sometimes. Isn't the first time, won't be the last. These things aren't exactly offenses that rank up there with Abu Graib or My Lai.

Vietnam

Iraq

Aussie troops in Afghanistan

I have a friend from India who has a battle flag.

May 2018
Michigan
Soldiers are knuckleheads sometimes. Isn't the first time, won't be the last. These things aren't exactly offenses that rank up there with Abu Graib or My Lai.

Vietnam

Iraq

Aussie troops in Afghanistan

The Confederate flag I can see: if Missouri National Guard unit uses it to keep moral up and it's a source of unit esprit de corps, as long as there isn't any white supremacist activity, who cares?

But Nazi ****? The Confederacy was at least an American institution that, aside from slavery and racism, generally followed the values of the Constitution.

Secondly, soldiers aren't the only knuckleheads: ever see a Man Zedong or Check Gueverra poster on a college campus? Mao, the man who starved 40 million Chinese to death and Gueverra, the homophobe.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
The Confederate flag I can see: if Missouri National Guard unit uses it to keep moral up and it's a source of unit esprit de corps, as long as there isn't any white supremacist activity, who cares?

But Nazi ****? The Confederacy was at least an American institution that, aside from slavery and racism, generally followed the values of the Constitution.

Secondly, soldiers aren't the only knuckleheads: ever see a Man Zedong or Check Gueverra poster on a college campus? Mao, the man who starved 40 million Chinese to death and Gueverra, the homophobe.
I hope it didn't come across as me singling out and picking on soldiers, marines, etc. I was just trying to convey something like, "boys will be boys." And yeah, it also applies to kids in school who wear the ubiquitous Che Guevara t-shirt.

In regards to the Nazi/SS stuff: personally, I would still be slow to condemn them for sporting those flags. I'd want to know first off, what it was that motivated them. For example, maybe the troops with that SS flag take some kind of inspiration from it, something like: "the SS were elite killers, cream of the crop....that's us, too!" Maybe not appropriate, but neither should it be anything that anyone gets in any serious trouble for.

May 2018
Michigan
I hope it didn't come across as me singling out and picking on soldiers, marines, etc. I was just trying to convey something like, "boys will be boys." And yeah, it also applies to kids in school who wear the ubiquitous Che Guevara t-shirt.

In regards to the Nazi/SS stuff: personally, I would still be slow to condemn them for sporting those flags. I'd want to know first off, what it was that motivated them. For example, maybe the troops with that SS flag take some kind of inspiration from it, something like: "the SS were elite killers, cream of the crop....that's us, too!" Maybe not appropriate, but neither should it be anything that anyone gets in any serious trouble for.

I also meant to type "Mississippi", but autocorrect.

Reactions: bedb
May 2018
Michigan
It is interesting: the same people complaining about Confederate statues are often the same people wearing Che Gueverra tshirts with Mao Zedong posters in their dorm room.

A homophobe who didn't just hate gays, but killed them. And a mass murderer whose 'programs for the people's starved 40 million to death.

While wearing a t-shirt is different from a statue, show a little intellectual consistency. Don't show up to protest Robert E. Lee while praising two individuals objectively *worse* than almost any Confederate.

Reactions: Menshevik

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
It is interesting: the same people complaining about Confederate statues are often the same people wearing Che Gueverra tshirts with Mao Zedong posters in their dorm room.
Not really, no. The sweeping generalization you made is as wrong as stating that every person who flies a Confederate flag in their backyard supports the KKK.

One doesn't have to be a Marxist to think it is bizarre that some Americans, in the past, erected statues to traitors who waged war on their own countrymen just keep 4 million other Americans enslaved.

That some of these statues are now coming down in the South also isn't due to meddlesome Yankees or student activists from Berkeley - it is due to the people who live in the communities those statues are decorating deciding the lumps of bronze and marble that were erected to celebrate treason and white supremacy no longer reflect their values.

Reactions: Viperlord
May 2018
Michigan
Not really, no. The sweeping generalization you made is as wrong as stating that every person who flies a Confederate flag in their backyard supports the KKK.
The demographics on who opposes the removal of Confederate statues are drawn largely along party lines, and whether or not the individual voted for Trump or Clinton in 2016. The entire South went to Trump in 2016. So no, not a hasty or sweeping generalization, but a reasonable extrapolation of available statistics which say that not even a majority of Americans as a whole oppose their removal. Much less a majority of people living in states where Trump won, or usually vote Republican.

I'm sure many people in local communities oppose the statues, in which case either the "keep the statue" or "remove the statue" crowds should, ideally, have to respect the results of a referendum held on election day.

Further, there is a strong archaeological case for, at the very least, not destroying the statues.

Viperlord

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
VA
frogsofwar said:
The demographics on who opposes the removal of Confederate statues are drawn largely along party lines, and whether or not the individual voted for Trump or Clinton in 2016. The entire South went to Trump in 2016. So no, not a hasty or sweeping generalization, but a reasonable extrapolation of available statistics which say that not even a majority of Americans as a whole oppose their removal. Much less a majority of people living in states where Trump won, or usually vote Republican.
You make an impressive case that people who vote for white supremacy are the ones who support Confederates statues. I am not sure that's what you meant to do, but you did it regardless, so well done.

Reactions: Scaeva