Confederate flag flown in WWII!

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
The demographics on who opposes the removal of Confederate statues are drawn largely along party lines, and whether or not the individual voted for Trump or Clinton in 2016. The entire South went to Trump in 2016. So no, not a hasty or sweeping generalization, but a reasonable extrapolation of available statistics which say that not even a majority of Americans as a whole oppose their removal. Much less a majority of people living in states where Trump won, or usually vote Republican.

I'm sure many people in local communities oppose the statues, in which case either the "keep the statue" or "remove the statue" crowds should, ideally, have to respect the results of a referendum held on election day.

Further, there is a strong archaeological case for, at the very least, not destroying the statues.
Sure. Open up a privately-owned park and invite the public in after moving the statues there. If it’s private and paid for by those who subscribe to its beliefs and opinions, that’s the right of thr owners. But don’t expect me or anyone who doesn’t subscribe to those beliefs to pay a penny to support it,

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
A lot. Their pride for one, their heritage and tradition for another. However, you will twist that around so its no use educating you on it.
The South was about slavery and racism and white supremacy. Any other interpretation is unintentionally hilarious.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
I’ve
A lot. Their pride for one, their heritage and tradition for another. However, you will twist that around so its no use educating you on it.
I’ve lived in Texas pretty much my whole life and the pride you talk about is nonsense and complete BS, but, to each his own.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
I’ve

I’ve lived in Texas pretty much my whole life and the pride you talk about is nonsense and complete BS, but, to each his own.
Are you saying your opinion is you don't agree with it? Or that it doesn't exist because you don't agree with it?

Viperlord

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
VA
It is interesting: the same people complaining about Confederate statues are often the same people wearing Che Gueverra tshirts with Mao Zedong posters in their dorm room.

A homophobe who didn't just hate gays, but killed them. And a mass murderer whose 'programs for the people's starved 40 million to death.

While wearing a t-shirt is different from a statue, show a little intellectual consistency. Don't show up to protest Robert E. Lee while praising two individuals objectively *worse* than almost any Confederate.
This is as literal a strawman argument as I can recall seeing. Nobody here is praising Mao. Argue with the imaginary people elsewhere.

Reactions: Scaeva

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
The person you're laughing at was entirely correct in his assessment, at least if we're referring to the history of the Confederacy which does seem to be the case.

The Confederacy was explicitly founded on a bedrock of white supremacy, and it instigated a civil war solely to protect the "right" to keep other Americans in chains.

"The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution African slavery as it exists amongst us the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. Jefferson in his forecast, had anticipated this, as the “rock upon which the old Union would split.” He was right. What was conjecture with him, is now a realized fact. But whether he fully comprehended the great truth upon which that rock stood and stands, may be doubted. The prevailing ideas entertained by him and most of the leading statesmen at the time of the formation of the old constitution, were that the enslavement of the African was in violation of the laws of nature; that it was wrong in principle, socially, morally, and politically. It was an evil they knew not well how to deal with, but the general opinion of the men of that day was that, somehow or other in the order of Providence, the institution would be evanescent and pass away. This idea, though not incorporated in the constitution, was the prevailing idea at that time. The constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly urged against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the “storm came and the wind blew.”

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science. It has been so even amongst us. Many who hear me, perhaps, can recollect well, that this truth was not generally admitted, even within their day. The errors of the past generation still clung to many as late as twenty years ago. Those at the North, who still cling to these errors, with a zeal above knowledge, we justly denominate fanatics. All fanaticism springs from an aberration of the mind from a defect in reasoning. It is a species of insanity. One of the most striking characteristics of insanity, in many instances, is forming correct conclusions from fancied or erroneous premises; so with the anti-slavery fanatics. Their conclusions are right if their premises were. They assume that the negro is equal, and hence conclude that he is entitled to equal privileges and rights with the white man. If their premises were correct, their conclusions would be logical and just but their premise being wrong, their whole argument fails. I recollect once of having heard a gentleman from one of the northern States, of great power and ability, announce in the House of Representatives, with imposing effect, that we of the South would be compelled, ultimately, to yield upon this subject of slavery, that it was as impossible to war successfully against a principle in politics, as it was in physics or mechanics. That the principle would ultimately prevail. That we, in maintaining slavery as it exists with us, were warring against a principle, a principle founded in nature, the principle of the equality of men. The reply I made to him was, that upon his own grounds, we should, ultimately, succeed, and that he and his associates, in this crusade against our institutions, would ultimately fail. The truth announced, that it was as impossible to war successfully against a principle in politics as it was in physics and mechanics, I admitted; but told him that it was he, and those acting with him, who were warring against a principle. They were attempting to make things equal which the Creator had made unequal."
---Alexander Stephens, Vice President of the Confederacy, March 21st, 1861

“Corner Stone” Speech | Teaching American History

May 2018
Michigan
The person you're laughing at was entirely correct in his assessment, at least if we're referring to the history of the Confederacy which does seem to be the case.

The Confederacy was explicitly founded on a bedrock of white supremacy, and it instigated a civil war solely to protect the "right" to keep other Americans in chains.

---Alexander Stephens, Vice President of the Confederacy, March 21st, 1861

“Corner Stone” Speech | Teaching American History
Once again, you mistake 'The South' as a culture for the 'Confederate States of America.'

I could regale you with how I've dated girls from the south whose families honor their Confederate past, and welcomed me into their homes, as a non-white American. Or all the great history discussions I've had with them, particularly about their family history and the ACW.

But I won't. Southern Culture does not equal the CSA, although they are closely linked. As a non-white American with zero European/white blood, I never once got a hint of racism from them.

I literally laugh at the ignorance, stupidity and absurdity of some of the posts on this forum. Blind, ignorant ideologues who have probably never even met a Southerner who has pride in their Confederate ancestry stand in ignorant judgement if an entire people

Last edited:

Viperlord

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
VA
I literally laugh at the ignorance, stupidity and absurdity of some of the posts on this forum. Blind, ignorant ideologues who have probably never even met a Southerner who has pride in their Confederate ancestry stand in ignorant judgement if an entire people
A bold statement coming from the poster from Michigan addressing posters from Virginia and Texas.

I could regale you with how I've dated girls from the south whose families honor their Confederate past, and welcomed me into their homes, as a non-white American. Or all the great history discussions I've had with them, particularly about their family history and the ACW.

But I won't.
Between this and the college students who love Mao nonsense, my credulity is being seriously strained here.