Confederate flag flown in WWII!

Viperlord

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
VA
You might be right, given that 42% of millennials don't even know who Mao was, which is even worse than the numerous Mao posters in college in the late 90s.

Apparently, those 42% are eager to be even more ignorant than the Mao fans of my college days.

https://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/753908/16
You continue to do a spectacular job of attacking whatever invisible person is arguing with you about Mao and college students.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Once again, you mistake 'The South' as a culture for the 'Confederate States of America.'

I could regale you with how I've dated girls from the south whose families honor their Confederate past, and welcomed me into their homes, as a non-white American. Or all the great history discussions I've had with them, particularly about their family history and the ACW.

But I won't. Southern Culture does not equal the CSA, although they are closely linked. As a non-white American with zero European/white blood, I never once got a hint of racism from them.

I literally laugh at the ignorance, stupidity and absurdity of some of the posts on this forum. Blind, ignorant ideologues who have probably never even met a Southerner who has pride in their Confederate ancestry stand in ignorant judgement if an entire people
You are quite fond of strawmen. I made no sweeping generalizations about southern culture. I was quite clear in stating that I was referring to the history of the Confederacy:

"The person you're laughing at was entirely correct in his assessment, at least if we're referring to the history of the Confederacy which does seem to be the case."

The post where Royal744 asked what the south had to be proud of - was also in response to remarks made about Confederate flags.

Besides resorting to childish insults and the strawman fallacy, you're also making baseless assumptions. How do you know that I haven't met any southerners who were proud of being descended from Confederate soldiers? That would be quite miraculous considering I'm former active duty military. I do not know Royal744, but considering his location is listed as San Antonio, Texas...I think it is safe to assume he's met plenty of Southerners with butternuts in their family tree.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
There were different attitudes back then. It might have been OK to put up a Confederate flag in a segregated state National Guard unit, although the state flag seems more appropriate. It seems like putting up a Confederate flag when a regular army or marines unit took a castle seems pretty divisive.
Aside from simple ignorance and a thoughtless expression of defiance and hostility towards the government that provided the soldier with his clothes, uniform, arms and food, this is the kind of stupid behavior intended to offend with no redeeming qualities. It was a long time ago and the soldier was probably a very young man who had a poor understanding of what that flag really stood for.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
A lot. Their pride for one, their heritage and tradition for another. However, you will twist that around so its no use educating you on it.
No “twisting around” necessary. Heritage: slavery? Now there’s something to be proud of. Tradition: of or for what, exactly? Southerners who become misty-eyed over the right to hold other human beings in chattel slavery need to wake up and smell the coffee.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
In San A
Not really, no. The sweeping generalization you made is as wrong as stating that every person who flies a Confederate flag in their backyard supports the KKK.

One doesn't have to be a Marxist to think it is bizarre that some Americans, in the past, erected statues to traitors who waged war on their own countrymen just keep 4 million other Americans enslaved.

That some of these statues are now coming down in the South also isn't due to meddlesome Yankees or student activists from Berkeley - it is due to the people who live in the communities those statues are decorating deciding the lumps of bronze and marble that were erected to celebrate treason and white supremacy no longer reflect their values.
In San Antonio, Tx, we recently removed a statue to the confederacy that was placed in a downtown public park back in the early part of the last century. There was some controversy over this but not a great deal. City Council removed the statue after hours. San Antonio is not a place where pro-southern sentiment ran very high.

Similar History Discussions