Could a revolt overthrow North Korea?

Feb 2019
Serbia
A popular revolt is nigh-impossible to happen unless a massive change occurs that convinces the people that the government is bad and even then the likelihood of success is debatable. A foreign coup is always possible, but the question is: then what? If nothing happens Kim will be replaced by someone else, and that someone else is likely to be from the party or the military and would probably be just as bad and ruthless. The question is how would the North Korean people react to the new leaders and how long will it take to dismantle the cult of personality.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
A popular revolt is nigh-impossible to happen unless a massive change occurs that convinces the people that the government is bad and even then the likelihood of success is debatable. A foreign coup is always possible, but the question is: then what? If nothing happens Kim will be replaced by someone else, and that someone else is likely to be from the party or the military and would probably be just as bad and ruthless. The question is how would the North Korean people react to the new leaders and how long will it take to dismantle the cult of personality.
I disagree that someone from the party or military would necessarily be as ruthless as Lil' Kim is. I mean, Mikhail Gorbachev was much better than those who came before him and so was Enver Hoxha's successor relative to Enver Hoxha himself.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I disagree that someone from the party or military would necessarily be as ruthless as Lil' Kim is. I mean, Mikhail Gorbachev was much better than those who came before him and so was Enver Hoxha's successor relative to Enver Hoxha himself.[/I]
We should then compare Kim Jong-Un with Kim Jong-Il and Kim Il-Sung. Is there any difference?

Feb 2019
Serbia
Of course, Kim Jong-Un's nephew does appear to be more tolerant and open-minded:

Kim Han-sol: The open-minded son of Kim Jong-nam

Too bad his dad (Lil' Kim's older brother) Kim Jong-nam tried to visit Tokyo Disneyland and thus got removed as the heir designate for NK--a position that went to Lil' Kim instead. :(
Going to be honest, I was about to burst out laughing when I read his name but then realised that it's missing an o at the end. This can go into the funny names thread.

As for the party successor, yes, that is certainly possible. It is also possible for the foreign power that did the coup to install someone of their choosing.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Going to be honest, I was about to burst out laughing when I read his name but then realised that it's missing an o at the end. This can go into the funny names thread.
Maybe he can name his son Kim Han-sol-oh? ;)

As for the party successor, yes, that is certainly possible. It is also possible for the foreign power that did the coup to install someone of their choosing.
I don't know if the North Koreans elites and people would actually be willing to support a foreign-backed puppet ruler, though. I mean, Japanese rule wasn't exactly popular in Korea back in the day.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The most plausible scenario would not be a revolt or regime change per say, but a Chinese backed palace coup in which a leader that was easier to control and more subservient to Beijing would be installed.
What makes you think that Norks would be any more willing to eat Chinese crap than they were willing to eat Japanese crap in the early 20th century?

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
What makes you think that Norks would be any more willing to eat Chinese crap than they were willing to eat Japanese crap in the early 20th century?
If history is any indication, and there are many examples (including Callicrates installed by the Romans as puppet ruler of Athens) there are always willing pawns who would act in the interests of a stronger power in exchange for patronage. It would likely be a leader who was relatively obscure and owes their entire position and security to the Chinese. And thus would have no choice but to remain loyal.

Similar History Discussions