Could a very wise person have written the Bible or other holy books?

Status
Closed
Jun 2015
UK
I'm not Christian, but the Bible contains a lot of wisdom. However, the level of wisdom is something that a very wise and astute person could have written. This isn't to offend any Christians here, but then it's just my view after reading the Bible for a while.

Aug 2014
Australia
The Bible (both Old and New Testaments) was a collection of works written by many authors over a period of centuries. Others then decided which works to keep and which to discard when creating the compendium. Then we had translators deciding which words and phrases to use when interpreting the works. What we have today doesn't always correlate to what was originally written. The King James Bible, originally published in 1611, is what most biblical literalists use but, since that time, it has had three revisions incorporating more than 100,000 changes.

Last edited:
Apr 2017
Lemuria
I'm not Christian, but the Bible contains a lot of wisdom. However, the level of wisdom is something that a very wise and astute person could have written. This isn't to offend any Christians here, but then it's just my view after reading the Bible for a while.
What wisdom is there exactly in the Bible? Examples? How about plagiarism in the Bible from the Epic of Gilgamesh? Only worthy work is Genesis and it is a blatant and flawed copy of the Epic of Gilgamesh (but the implications in this particular book are far reaching and tell mankind origin albeit in a very flawed and corrupted way). The rest of the work is something you'd expect from a semi-primitive people. It is also a slavers guide as well as elite guide for mass control.

Last edited:
Feb 2016
Atlantic Ocean
What wisdom is there exactly in the Bible? Examples? How about plagiarism in the Bible from the Epic of Gilgamesh? Only worthy work is Genesis and it is a blatant and flawed copy of the Epic of Gilgamesh (but the implications in this particular book are far reaching and tell mankind origin albeit in a very flawed and corrupted way). The rest of the work is something you'd expect from a semi-primitive people. It is also a slavers guide as well as elite guide for mass control.
Amazing. religious books are written by the Illuminati.

Aug 2014
Australia
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

-- Richard Dawkins.

Apr 2017
Lemuria
Amazing. religious books are written by the Illuminati.
You know the Illuminati was a secular, rational institution and no longer exists as an organization per se? But the Illumanati ideas spread and are common place today in universities etc. Back then secularism was considered as demonic and evil hence the association with "Satanism". What you meant is the Freemason not the Illuminati. Illuminati means the Enlightened!

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
The Bible (both Old and New Testaments) was a collection of works written by many authors over a period of centuries. Others then decided which works to keep and which to discard when creating the compendium. Then we had translators deciding which words and phrases to use when interpreting the works. What we have today doesn't always correlate to what was originally written.
Probably most of the people that talk about the bible don’t know this basic information, and yet it is not exactly a secret.

How about plagiarism in the Bible from the Epic of Gilgamesh? Only worthy work is Genesis and it is a blatant and flawed copy of the Epic of Gilgamesh (but the implications in this particular book are far reaching and tell mankind origin albeit in a very flawed and corrupted way). The rest of the work is something you'd expect from a semi-primitive people. It is also a slavers guide as well as elite guide for mass control.
You can’t apply today’s concept of intellectual propriety to the Ancient Middle East. The concept of plagiarism is quite recent in the history of Mankind. Besides probably isn’t a copy of Gilgamesh’s epic but just another version, as it happened with many other works.

I personally find the book a master piece for his time. And an interesting source for those who study the region. The Hebrews gave us this work (Ancient Testament) with all its flaws and interpolations, but it wouldn’t be awesome if we had similar sources for other peoples in the region?

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

-- Richard Dawkins.
ehehehehe

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
If the book is full of a lot of wisdom, then by definition, it was written by a very wise person or persons. QED.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
give some examples of this "level of wisdom"....

and the bible was certainly written.... whether by one author or (most probably) several human authors ..... so I am not sure what you mean by your question

Apr 2017
Lemuria
You can’t apply today’s concept of intellectual propriety to the Ancient Middle East. The concept of plagiarism is quite recent in the history of Mankind. Besides probably isn’t a copy of Gilgamesh’s epic but just another version, as it happened with many other works.
There are physical copies of the Epic. There is no such thing for Genesis. It is a universal "myth" but the Epic of Gilgamesh has way more depth.

Status
Closed