Could China or Japan ever colonize North America

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
heylouis,

Thanks for the explanation. Reading this last post from it seems that we agree more than I initially tough. It seems that is a question of timeline.

chinese already knew the new world, but whether "before the Spanish arrival", i don't know.

that is irrelevant.
That a China knew about America in the 16th century, I don’t have much doubts. This kind of news travel fast. And the Spanish were buying Chinese products with American metals trough the Manila-Acapulco route since the 1570’s.

About the about the relevance/irrelevance it would depend. For a potential intent of colonization in the 16th or 17th century, yes it is irrelevant. For historical purposes it isn’t. Thus my reference to the pseudo-history.

this "already" means when others were performing "colonization", china was not without knowledge.
Now I got it. That “already” without a date surely made some confusion.

the map did happened in china, with lots of raw data from china, whether the american part is from west, i don't know. the point is the map (as you may claim not fully chinese) did give chinese knowledge on new world
That I claim that is not Chinese, is not a claim, it is a fact that Matteo Ricci was not Chinese and that he made much his studies outside China. But again, I don’t doubt that even before his arrival to China, China had already the knowledge of the existence of the New World. As for the Chinese sources that he had access, I don’t know what they were. Is there a study about it?

this closely related to the above.

as we knew new colonies even happen in 19th century. so when chinese know about the new world, there is still space to colonize.
chinese did not

so as I repeated, I focus on the OP, not who makes the novel discoveries of lands, chinese did not colonize when the knowledge is available.
Now with the new context I fully understood your point, and here we agree. The Chinese didn’t colonized the new world even if somewhere in the 16th century they had the knowledge about it.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Keep in mind much of the West Coast, Washington, Oregon, British Columbia was not colonized and would not be colonized for more than another 100 years after the Chinese were aware of the New World. So it want because the Europeans had colonized it

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Can't speak for Japan but China had her chance during the 15th century with Zheng He. Too bad the Ming government decided to turn inwards to isolation and the rest is well....you know history.
The thing, like previously said, is that we don’t know that Zheng He reached America, that is just a wild speculation. So, no, as far as we know, China didn’t had a chance to colonize America in the 15th century.

Apr 2018
Los Angeles
The thing, like previously said, is that we don’t know that Zheng He reached America, that is just a wild speculation. So, no, as far as we know, China didn’t had a chance to colonize America in the 15th century.
I'm well aware that Zheng He didn't reach America. My point is if the Ming didn't turn isolationist and continued the desire to explore and expand, history may have been different.

Similar History Discussions