Could France have invaded England after the Hundred Years War?

Oct 2015
California
After the the decisive English defeat at Castillon in 1453, did the French ever consider pursuing the English back to England by invading? What if they had taken advantage of the political turmoil in England by invading during the War of the Roses on the pretext of supporting one side over the other?

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
After the the decisive English defeat at Castillon in 1453, did the French ever consider pursuing the English back to England by invading? What if they had taken advantage of the political turmoil in England by invading during the War of the Roses on the pretext of supporting one side over the other?
I believe they did.

Also England has been repeatedly invaded. It's just that when it's medieval the conflicts are all rather dynastic, not so much national, and so an invasion might not constitute one nation invading another.

Invasion of England - Wikipedia

Oct 2015
California
I believe they did.

Also England has been repeatedly invaded. It's just that when it's medieval the conflicts are all rather dynastic, not so much national, and so an invasion might not constitute one nation invading another.

Invasion of England - Wikipedia
Maybe I should have made myself more clear. I guess what I was saying was that could the Hundred Years War continued with a French invasion of England immediately after England lost its last stronghold in France. At the start of the Hundred Years War there was a planned French invasion of England but was never carried out. After the Hundred Years War France came out of it a stronger unified state, a strong sense of nationalism and with a standing army at the dawn of gun powder warfare . England came out the weaker, racked by internal strife and a feudal army that in the end was beaten by a more organized one. Whether Charles VII could have conquered England on the other hand is another matter. The logistics of supplying an army, especially one fighting across the English channel has always been problematic and one of the reasons why England lost the war in the first place.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Francis I of France made probably the strongest attempt in 1545. The French fleet far out numbered the English fleet in ships and men when it attacked in the area of the Isle of Wight. They occupied the island but could not land forces on the mainland because of the smaller English fleet in the Solent

The Great French Armada of 1545 & The Battle of The Solent - Historic UK

Last edited:
Aug 2015
uk
England and France had come to the end of a long and bloody series of wars; France had won. There was no need to invade England, firstly because doing so was very risky and very expensive, secondly France had won and restarting the war might end up with them on the losing side this time, thirdly because the French had other fish to fry.

The war had pretty much ended English king's chances of winning France, and that was all that France was concerned with. As I mentioned it was risky and expensive to invade England, far easier to support and finance those who would cause unrest instead. Henry VII was helped to his throne by the French and various other rebellions and uprises against England were backed by French money and arms.

Also England was not exactly weak. Havong fought the 100 Years War they were fully prepped for battle, as can be seen with the fact that the Wars of the Roses followed shortly after. Now at the end of THOSE battles England was in a bit of a sorry state, but then again the new English Tudor King had been put on the throne with French help, so why immeadiately attack him?

France did invade England during the war of the roses and did put someone on the throne, Henry Tudor.

Similar History Discussions