Could it be... Sea Serpents?

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
And your interpretation?
Honestly, I don't know what to think. I remember when this photo was out and about in publication. It doesn't have to be a Rorschach test to see what looks like the outline of a Plesiosaur, but that would certainly be impossible for a whole lot of obvious reasons. I've wondered if some sightings of some cryptids and even ghosts might actually be some kind ghost image or time overlap, because of the obvious lack of visible viable populations or corpses. Don't mean to get all Sheldrakian..I suspect sea serpents are some type of eel that managed to survive the destructions of the past.

Last edited:
Aug 2011
Sweden
Honestly, I don't know what to think. I remember when this photo was out and about in publication. It doesn't have to be a Rorschach test to see what looks like the outline of a Plesiosaur, but that would certainly be impossible for a whole lot of obvious reasons. I've wondered if some sightings of some cryptids and even ghosts might actually be some kind ghost image or time overlap, because of the obvious lack of visible viable populations or corpses. Don't mean to get all Sheldrakian..I suspect sea serpents are some type of eel that managed to survive the destructions of the past.
Future will probably show that both the Loch ness animal as well as most other lake monsters in the northern hemisphere are some kind of overgrown eel. Including such phenomena as the lindorm, kelpie, horse eel etc. Back home we have being one called bäckahäst, which means brook horse.

I have read that american and european eels can produce hybrids, which perhaps are sterile and continue growing.

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Future will probably show that both the Loch ness animal as well as most other lake monsters in the northern hemisphere are some kind of overgrown eel. Including such phenomena as the lindorm, kelpie, horse eel etc. Back home we have being one called bäckahäst, which means brook horse.

I have read that american and european eels can produce hybrids, which perhaps are sterile and continue growing.
Interesting. I think you are right.

Aug 2011
Sweden
Interesting. I think you are right.
So the big question is a biological one more than anything else: HOW could an existing fish species like the eel develop into such a gigantic and different form like the lindorm type?

Of all the 48 testimonials published in 1886 from Småland county, a major part described animals firmly on land, in bushes, among stones and sun bathing like a snake, including hibernation together with normal adders and grass snakes. It is known that normal eels can migrate over land for some distance but the lindorms seem to behave like lung breathing animals. Although it may be of a type skin breathing in this case, together with an abnormal type of gill breathing. The described "folds" or "sacks" on the side of the head may be enlarged gills perhaps. Just like an angry dog, the lindorms raised the scales/hairs on the back when irritated by humans. When attacked by humans, they could raise their body over a meter from the ground, with a hissing sound.

This a first class enigma.

Last edited:
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
So the big question is a biological one more than anything else: HOW could an existing fish species like the eel develop into such a gigantic and different form like the lindorm type?

Of all the 48 testimonials from 1886 in Småland county, a major part described animals firmly on land, in bushes, among stones and sun bathing like a snake, including hibernation together with normal adders and grass snakes. It is known that normal eels can migrate over land for some distance but the lindorms seem to behave like lung breathing animals. Although it may be of a type skin breathing in this case, together with an abnormal type of gill breathing. The described "folds" or "sacks" on the side of the head may be enlarged gills perhaps. Just like an angry dog, the lindorms raised the scales/hairs on the back when irritated by humans. When attacked by humans, they could raise their body over a meter from the ground, with a hissing sound.

This a first class enigma.
Wow! Weird. Do you have links or places to read more? I find myself saying "Wow" and "Weird" a lot these days..

Aug 2011
Sweden
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Aug 2011
Sweden
Another one, by me translated, of the 48 lindorm/drake testimonials from 1885.

Around 1866, when undersigned served as corporal at the Skatelöv company, it happened one day in the month of March, that I wanted to go up to the soldier’s cottage Högelid to sharpen my axe. Högelid is located at the edge of the large Husaby forest. It was at 10 AM forenoon, the day was warm and sunny and with snow remaining in some places. I was wearing clogs, so that my steps could be heard for some distance. When I entered a narrow path at the edge of the forest, I suddenly saw a large snake, which was curled up on a heap of branches and basked in the sun. The part of the body that was visible, was 3 ells long (=1,8 meter), the rest was hidden in a tussock, and my guess was that it was 2 ells, because the Drake, which this large snake is called here, had the power to pull itself back with the tail, when it wanted.
My first thought was, when I saw him, to attack him with the axe that I was carrying on the back. But I remembered how Daniel at Mattisgård, who was a strong and brave man, had to fight almost to death against such an beast. I therefore stopped and backed off. Therefore I had good time to watch the Drake, because he lay still 3 ells from me. My first though was also: You are such a devil, who won’t move.

The look of the Drake was the following:
Body length was estimated to be 5 ells (3 meters), thickness 5 inches in cross section, but the width over the back was perhaps 8 inches where he pressed on the branches. Head was flatted, with a size of a calf, at the front stumped, but the skin in large folds at the corner of the mouth. Eyes bulging, with the size of a large hare. The star of the eyes were black, with a grey or brown ring around it. Along the back a black stripe, which consisted of inch long scales, which the Drake raised when he noticed me making av movement, but lowered them when I stood still. The rest of of body was black and the beast lay very still, with the exception of the mentioned raising and lowering of the back scales and an even twinkling movement with the eyes.

The time that was required to back off was quite long, perhaps half an hour, because I had to stand still every time the drake was angered and rasied the scales. Therefore I was possible to examine him good.

I have no real knowledge of the habits of the drake, but guess that he feeds on the large and numerous toads, and therefore mostly is active during night. He is view by the people with such fear, that is is told of a soldier by name Käck from Odensjö, who in 1849 should slash burn a clearing, that he was so frightened by a Drake at the same place, that he had to flee and got his tools and some clothes burned. I have heard himself telling this. I have also been told that at the mentioned cottage Högalid presumably the same drake has shown itself this summer 1883, and thereby frightened corporal Hjort’s fifteen old daugther Christina so bad, that she had to stay in bed for several days.

By me here reported, by myself seen and experienced, is all true, I certify under oath.

Place
Name
Witness

kazeuma

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
I usually have two answers to the Nessie Question -

1. Depends on how much Scotch you are drinking is when and how you are going to see Nessie.

2. maybe it is a pet of the Numue (Viviane), the Arthurian Lady of the Lake, placed there for her amusement.

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
I usually have two answers to the Nessie Question -

1. Depends on how much Scotch you are drinking is when and how you are going to see Nessie.

2. maybe it is a pet of the Numue (Viviane), the Arthurian Lady of the Lake, placed there for her amusement.
:lol: I like it! Beats the idea that Crowley created it as an artificial elemental! :lol:

Similar History Discussions