Could sapient dinosaurs arise if the Cretaceous-Paleogene extinction didn't happen?

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
In both the novels and the TV-series of Dinotopia, various species of sapient dinosaurs exist, especially the Dromaeosauridae and troodontidae. The movie The Good Dinosaur apparently shows dinosaurs capable of agriculture and pastoral herding.
The suggestion is that none of the non-avian dinosaurs matched the intelligence of the hummingbirds.
(I would like to quote something from someone else:
"T. rex had at least a crocodilian level of intelligence. And crocs are very capable of observational learning. Combine that with their senses and physical prowess and you've got trouble right here in River City!")
Although crocodiles and birds are both archosaurs, I'm not too sure if the intelligence is comparable.
The speculation is if Tyrannosaurus rex could become sapient if they didn't go extinct.
A speculation is that Troodontidae might become Dinosauroid if they didn't go extinct.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troodon#The_.22Dinosauroid.22

starman

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Connecticut
The speculation is if Tyrannosaurus rex could become sapient if they didn't go extinct.

It did have a larger brain than earlier big theropods like Carcharodontosaurus. But most of its brain dealt with senses; the cerebrum wasn't so big.

Jun 2015
UK
Possibly.

I'm not sure if there are given factors lending to sapience though. Maybe an enviroment lending to tool use, innovation, and being able to think outside the box. In a loose way, it's how we evolved to be sapient, I guess.

kazeuma

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Brain size does not always mean intelligence. The Neanderthal had a far larger brain than modern day man, if brain size was the driver of intelligence, the Neanderthal should have be able to survive. But if we are talking about intelligent dinosaurs, there is a thread about it here http://historum.com/speculative-history/97915-intelligent-dinosaurs.html

I do give the T-Rex and the Troodontidae to be the arch-predators of his time....
They would need some time to evolve, but I would go with Troodontidae as more likely to "go sapient."

But even there is "going sapient" a good thing - not all intelligent species have to be sapient (if you were to scale up a common European tree squirrel to the size of a human being, it would have an IQ that could rival Einstein).

But let us say they do go

Dinosauroid sapient is a good thing for argument sake - it would take centuries to develop things like tools, agriculture / herding food, and who knows in a few ten to twenty thousand years -

space travel.

Similar History Discussions