Could the bombing of Hiroshima be considered a war crime?

Jul 2016
USA
Deterrent, not deterrant. Also, Yes, countries without nukes are more vulnerable to attacks. Just imagine what would have happened had Saddam Hussein got nukes before he invaded Kuwait. In such a scenario, the West might have been much more hesitant to militarily intervene.
Countries with small arsenals and no ICBMs or not enough to survive a first strike, even conventional, still lack a proper deterrent. Iraq under Saddam was bad news but not a license to do whatever he wants. In fact, having nukes and invading another country who has allies with nukes is a great way to end up getting nuked after inadvertently starting a larger conflict.

Its like being one of few tough guys who primarily use fisticuffs but getting a gun. You're a badass until you get into it with someone with their own gun, especially someone with more guns, better guns, who is highly skilled with them. Suddenly the idea of being a gun fighter doesn't sound so hot.

As far as I know, a war crime is essentially any act during wars/military conflicts that opposes the law of war; which includes (but not limited to) destroying civilian property, intentional killing of civilians and strategic bombing.
Yes, it was a war crime, no matter what people otherwise say.

But the world does not care how many people you have murdered, only how much money you can give them. That is why, despite the many terrible things it has done, the world won't do anything; it is too rich. But I believe that one day and hopefully it will be in my lifetime, that the US will face justice for its crimes against humanity. I believe that its officials will be put on trial for war crimes like what happened to the Germans and the Japanese during WW2. And as for its people, the world will dictate who they can vote for because it doesn't matter who is in office, nothing seems to change when they do it. They can't buy out the world and the world won't be afraid of them forever. One day my friend, we will see this happen.

I know the deadpool man is most likely going to ban because this site is heavily biased towards the US but again, banning me does very little to expose the truth.

Yes, it was a war crime, no matter what people otherwise say.

But the world does not care how many people you have murdered, only how much money you can give them. That is why, despite the many terrible things it has done, the world won't do anything; it is too rich. But I believe that one day and hopefully it will be in my lifetime, that the US will face justice for its crimes against humanity. I believe that its officials will be put on trial for war crimes like what happened to the Germans and the Japanese during WW2. And as for its people, the world will dictate who they can vote for because it doesn't matter who is in office, nothing seems to change when they do it. They can't buy out the world and the world won't be afraid of them forever. One day my friend, we will see this happen.

I know the deadpool man is most likely going to ban because this site is heavily biased towards the US but again, banning me does very little to expose the truth.
First of all here everyone is free to express their views in this forum, however he/she must be prepared for it when that view is challenged, and it will be challenged. That's what a debate is.

It may seem that the site is biased when most of its users share a view contrary to yours. But please don't let presumptions cloud your judgements. That's also bias. You can't have a debate if you come in with "everyone is biased" thought in mind.

Jul 2011
Australia
I'm prepared to be challenged and if you disagree with me, fine, no hard feelings. What I'm not prepared for is when the moderators just ban you because.....?
You have been here for one day and have made four anti US posts. You offer no argument, just a childish rant, then dare the moderators to ban you. Seems you have nothing to contribute to this site whatsoever. :rolleyes:

You have been here for one day and have made four anti US posts.

Anti-US? Is it not true that they have invaded, bombed and killed many people?

You offer no argument, just a childish rant, then dare the moderators to ban you. Seems you have nothing to contribute to this site whatsoever. :rolleyes:

"everyone is free to express their views in this forum, however he/she must be prepared for it when that view is challenged" - HardtackJuniper

This is the challenge that people here give? Offering insults instead of arguments?

Jul 2019
Pale Blue Dot - Moonshine Quadrant
I am brand new to the board so I am jumping in way late on this.

I would consider Hiroshima a crime – but the whole issue of war crimes is muddled. War itself is a crime.

Nuremberg pretty much set the standard for war crimes and it seems to me that by that standard the atomic bombs on largely civilian cities was a war crime. But that Nuremberg court was questionable in its legal structure. The victors were the accusers and judges as well – far from a sound judicial setup.

The Nazis were savage of course (as were the Japanese in China) but so was the fire-bombing of Hamburg, Dresden, Tokyo even before the atomic bombs. Beyond the firestorms purposely created in those cities, Nuremberg was also a tough call with the Russians sitting as one of the judges since many were already aware of who was responsible for the massacre at Katyn Forest.

I think the problem was that starting no later than the American Civil War with Sheridan and Sherman the inclusion of civilians as acceptable targets of war had grown steadily - both the British and the French had bombed civilians in the period between the two world wars. As armies became more democratic (and thus more civilian), sustained industrial capacity played a larger role in eventual victory, and technology depersonalized combat the brutality against non-military targets grew worse.

I can sympathize with the desire to put limits on acceptable behavior in war with ideas like War Crimes, but I think bad precedents were established and it is not obvious to me that anyone’s behavior has been restrained as a result.