Could the Dutch ever keep their colonies in North America from the British?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
I can't see how, given the situation of the time. Britain was the most powerful nation in the world and had the most powerful navy. And even in the area of colonization, how many Dutch were there to settle such a vast land?

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Parts of the Netherland Antilles are technically considered part of North America. As for mainland North America, possibly if they formed an alliance with Britain, similar to their alliance with Portugal.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I can't see how, given the situation of the time. Britain was the most powerful nation in the world and had the most powerful navy. And even in the area of colonization, how many Dutch were there to settle such a vast land?
Without wanting to enter here in those kind of threads saying that nation A is more powerful than nation B, I don’t think that Britain can be clearly qualified has the most powerful nation of the world and had the most powerful navy already in the middle of the 17th century. That would be more apropriated for the 18th century.

The Dutch Empire had a short apogee. Maybe less than half a century. By the half of the 17th century they were retreating from many places. The Portuguese after deposing Filipe III were able to expel them from Brazil (New Holland) and Angola, during the first war between them and Britain. The Dutch had too many enemies and maintaining such a huge overseas empire wasn’t easy, as the Spanish and even more the Portuguese had already seen.

Jun 2017
Connecticut
The only way I could think of is if they made the Anglo-Dutch Empire happen.
Well William III being King and the two nations being allies would have likely prevented this from happening(even afterwards). Giving it some more time also went have helped, the Dutch colonies in North America didn't even last 50 years and they had already taken down New Sweden and with just a few more decades would have had a far better chance of at least putting up a fight. The Mid Colonies splitting up New England from the South was an incentive though for the British to take it and the result of an independent New Netherlands might have been to divide the north and southeastern US.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Without wanting to enter here in those kind of threads saying that nation A is more powerful than nation B, I don’t think that Britain can be clearly qualified has the most powerful nation of the world and had the most powerful navy already in the middle of the 17th century. That would be more apropriated for the 18th century.

The Dutch Empire had a short apogee. Maybe less than half a century. By the half of the 17th century they were retreating from many places. The Portuguese after deposing Filipe III were able to expel them from Brazil (New Holland) and Angola, during the first war between them and Britain. The Dutch had too many enemies and maintaining such a huge overseas empire wasn’t easy, as the Spanish and even more the Portuguese had already seen.
Yes. I was likely referring to the 18th century. There is still issue of populating a large area such North America. I would imagine the population of the British Isles and Ireland (under Britain's control) was more than that of Holland in the mid to late 17th century?

Oct 2018
Raritania
Yes. I was likely referring to the 18th century. There is still issue of populating a large area such North America. I would imagine the population of the British Isles and Ireland (under Britain's control) was more than that of Holland in the mid to late 17th century?
According to this Wikipedia article , it was around 1,500,000 in 1600. Britian's was 5,600,000.
List of countries by population in 1600 - Wikipedia

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Britain was not the most powerful nation in the world in the 17th century when they took the New Netherlands from the Netherlands. China, the Mughal Empire, the Persian Empire, and the Ottoman Empire were probably the mightiest countries in the world, while France, Spain, and Sweden might have been the most powerful Christian European countries. Poland-Lithuania and The Holy Roman Empire were nothing to sneer at either, since together they stopped the Ottomans at Vienna in 1683 and started the long Ottoman decline in the Great Turkish war of 1683-99.

Similar History Discussions