Could the Philippines have made it on its own after Spain?

Aug 2017
Just across the street
Hi, first post

What if in this alternate timeline the Americans either never came or did come only to kick out the Spanish troops but left afterwards and all the other world powers was just not interested in it or respected its independence.

Also would the Philippines really be more prosperous today, worse off or same?

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Worse off most likely if U.S. didn't control it someone else would have or at least tried- most likely Japan, Germany, or France.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Hi, first post

What if in this alternate timeline the Americans either never came or did come only to kick out the Spanish troops but left afterwards and all the other world powers was just not interested in it or respected its independence.

Also would the Philippines really be more prosperous today, worse off or same?
No question, the Philippines could have made it on their own after the Spanish left.

I don't think they would be more or less prosperous, US didn't impoverish the Philippines but neither did it enrich the Philippines.

Aug 2015
Los Angeles
No question, the Philippines could have made it on their own after the Spanish left.

I don't think they would be more or less prosperous, US didn't impoverish the Philippines but neither did it enrich the Philippines.
I would imagine some other foreign power would try to occupy it though. Japanese Empire and the Empire of Germany were always looking for more colonies.

Jan 2015
meo
America dropped Philippine harder than my father who said he is out to buy cigarettes and then disappeared for 20 years. Philippine is simply too diverse to make it through without extent care of someone else.