Could Vietnam defeat Thailand?

Jan 2015
meo
Could Vietnam defeat Thailand if they invade Thailand after defeating Khmer Rogue and neither America or China interfered?

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia
Vietnam is one of those countries like Finland and Israel. I do not think anyone could defeat them when they set their collective minds to winning.

Jan 2017
Virginia, USA
I was so hoping that this thread would be about the historical Siamese Ayutthaya Kingdom versus the kingdom of Dai Viet under the Lê dynasty.

As for your question, OP, I think the Vietnamese would have had some logistical problems conquering Thailand during the 1980s. Yes, they were able to establish a pro-Vietnamese government in Cambodia for a decade. It was one thing to occupy Cambodia and another entirely to stretch those forces thin over the whole of Vietnam, Cambodia, and into Thailand. I don't think anyone cried over the loss of the Kampuchea Khmer Rouge regime, but there would have been quite an international response to a Vietnamese invasion of Thailand. In their own home terrain, the northern Vietnamese were able to resist both the United States and (later, as a unified Vietnam) the People's Republic of China. There's much to be said about that and Champa's historical defense against Chinese dynasties while northern Vietnam (later the kingdom of Dai Viet under various dynasties) was under Chinese domination on four separate occasions ending in the 15th century AD. Yet I honestly don't think in modern times Vietnam would have had the resources and manpower to conquer, occupy, and govern both Cambodia and Thailand all at once.

Last edited:

zincwarrior

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Texas
Doubtful, Thailand had homefield advantage, and had its own history of successfully defeating invaders.

Sep 2013
planet earth
cambodia was a country ravage by the khmer rouge regime. most of the population was concentrated in rural "work camps" as the cities and towns had been depopulated. the experienced and powerful vietnamese army had no real trouble in defeating the khmer rouge in battle as most of the fighting was done in the country side where they had advantage of air strikes, and mobile armoured units who operated mainly on flat terrain.

the vietnamese army had the advantage of not needing to fight any urban warfare or be bog down by it as the towns and cities had no population or fighters to speak of. also the khmer rouge would'nt get any support from the population of cambodia as they hated the khmer rouge regime and initially welcomed the invasion by the vietnamese army which ousted the khmer rouge from power.

most of the khmer rouge forces basicley ran to their jungle hide outs to fight another day. there was no last stand in the urban areas or anything like that. that's why it only took about 2 weeks for the vietnamese army to push the khmer rouge out of power and then years of fighting a khmer rouge insurgency.

but thailand on the other hand was a "normal' working, stable country. urban warfare would slow down the invasion, the patriotic will of the people would be strong and thailand with it's large population can muster a large army to fight back. there will be urban warfare, there will be plenty of last stands to try and stop the invasion. vietnam might gain some territory in the beginning. but the thai resistance will turn in to an army pushing out the invaders.

so i would say that i don't think a vietnamese invasion of thailand will be successful. invading cambodia ravaged by years of khmer rouge rule is a different kettle of fish to invading relatively stable thailand.

Jan 2015
new york
atm thailand is still control by the military government, any attempt to invade the country is only going to help them consolidate their hold. i don;t see how vietnam winning this.

Sep 2013
planet earth
atm thailand is still control by the military government, any attempt to invade the country is only going to help them consolidate their hold. i don;t see how vietnam winning this.
i think O.P is talking about the period from 1979 in to the 1980's, when vietnam invaded cambodia to oust the khmer rouge and occupied the country for about a decade.

Sep 2013
planet earth
another factor to consider is the thai king. thai folks revere their king. if the thai king came out and told his subject to fight the vietnamese invasion. you can bet the whole thai nation would fight tooth and nail for the king.

Last edited: