Countries that had the most and least to gain from WWI

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
1. AH, and nations under AH. Which is why they started the war.
I agree A-H primarily started the war. They are the ones who literally started the war. Not Germany, Russia, etc.

I am not sure who had the most to gain. However, the only winners were the US, Japan, and Serbia. All of the major power involved at the beginning lost. 4 of them were destroyed. Britain and France gained territory, but were weakened.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I agree A-H primarily started the war. They are the ones who literally started the war. Not Germany, Russia, etc.

I am not sure who had the most to gain. However, the only winners were the US, Japan, and Serbia. All of the major power involved at the beginning lost. 4 of them were destroyed. Britain and France gained territory, but were weakened.
You forgot to mention Romania and Italy here.

Sep 2014
Queens, NYC
WhatAnArtist, page 1 post 7:
Futurist said:
Wouldn't the US have been even stronger by not fighting, though?
No. Their losses in terms of manpower were very minimal compared to every other power in the war, they succeeded in de-stabilizing and overthrowing several Old World empires (Wilson's goal all along),
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I think you'd have a very hard time showing Wilson had such goal before the U.S. actually entered the war.

Reactions: Futurist
Feb 2014
Miami
Had Greece not tried to maintain neutrality and Joined the allies sooner, and kept the party they had before re-elections during the Greek-Turkish war, they would have received Smyrna, some of Thrace, and Cyprus. UK had promised Cyprus for Greek entry

Jul 2017
Srpska

The war was really about preservation of AH, the imperial state, and the expansion to former Ottoman territories.
AH had the most to gain, basically all of the Balkans.

The winners were Poland, Czechia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Slavonia, Dalmatia, Bosnia, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia. They had the most to gain, they had nothing before the war and gained independence.

Romania made the biggest territorial gains.

Serbia made small gains accepting the former AH Voivodship of Serbia after the fall of AH.

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Italy was, in my opinion, the country to gain the less

They had no option in the colonial world, which was clearly closed by UK and France

Trentino-South Tyrol and was of little gain, and its adquisition of little historical or any kind of impact. The region had no economic interest, Italians living there weren't in bad condition; actually, Italy went beyond and seized South Tyrol, which was German speaking. Lots of Italians lived and lives out of the Italian Alpine border and that's ok

The only reasonable gain was strategic, since this A-H bulge into Italy was cerntainly odd... And the ski resorts, of course

Had Italy played wisely, remaining neutral, and gains as economic and political intermediary would be HUGE

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Italy was, in my opinion, the country to gain the less

They had no option in the colonial world, which was clearly closed by UK and France

Trentino-South Tyrol and was of little gain, and its adquisition of little historical or any kind of impact. The region had no economic interest, Italians living there weren't in bad condition; actually, Italy went beyond and seized South Tyrol, which was German speaking. Lots of Italians lived and lives out of the Italian Alpine border and that's ok

The only reasonable gain was strategic, since this A-H bulge into Italy was cerntainly odd... And the ski resorts, of course

Had Italy played wisely, remaining neutral, and gains as economic and political intermediary would be HUGE
That's surely true; in retrospect it was a mistake for Italy to get involved as acomabatant, even though it was on the winning side.