Countries that were artificial creations at the time of their establishment

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Which countries were artificial creations at the time of their establishment? So far, I could think of Jordan (there was no common Jordanian identity before WWI--unlike for even, say, Syria or Iraq which were at least viewed as cohesive territories within the Ottoman Empire) and a lot of Sub-Saharan African countries (with notable exceptions including Ethiopia, Madagascar, perhaps Eritrea, Somalia, Rwanda, and Burundi). However, which other countries qualify for this, in your honest opinion?

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Kosovo: there is no Kosovan identity, people there are Albanians, most of them do not want independence but union with Albania and the only reason Kosovo is "independent" is because any union with Albania might trigger a war, there is no historical justification for an independent Kosovo because Kosovo was never an independent state before 2008 etc.

Most African countries fit the bill because their borders were drawn by colonial Europeans who cared little about tribal affiliations and stuff like that.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Kosovo: there is no Kosovan identity, people there are Albanians, most of them do not want independence but union with Albania and the only reason Kosovo is "independent" is because any union with Albania might trigger a war, there is no historical justification for an independent Kosovo because Kosovo was never an independent state before 2008 etc.
What about Macedonia and Moldova?

Most African countries fit the bill because their borders were drawn by colonial Europeans who cared little about tribal affiliations and stuff like that.
What African countries are the exceptions in regards to this? I mean, I could think of Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco, Ethiopia, maybe Eritrea, Somalia, Rwanda, Burundi, Madagascar, and Liberia, but which other African countries are exceptions in regards to this?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Eh, there is a Macedonian identity. It is fairly recent, but it exists. I think the same can be said of Moldova and Moldovan identity.
What about Transnistria, Nagorno-Karabakh, and the Donbass?

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
AFAIK, Karabakhs are just Armenians and want unification with Armenia. Donbass is still in the realm of politics and I really don't know what to make of all stuff there. As far as Transnistria goes, I must say I don't know much except that there is a stronger Slavic element there. However, they seem weird with their continued use of hammer and sickle.

Jun 2019
St.Petersburg
The problem is rather how to combine the principle of inviolability of borders and the right of nations to self-determination.
Ethnic groups are often too mixed, and while ethnic self-identification is important for the people, effective solutions cannot be found.

Reactions: Tulius and Futurist
Jan 2013
Toronto, Canada
Liechtenstein, Monaco (created by old feudal agreements)
Andorra (created because Spain and France couldn't decide who got the territory)
Luxembourg (created because the Netherlands and Prussia couldn't decide who got the territory)
Moldova (created to justify Stalinist aggression)
Trinidad and Tobago (created to save money on colonial administration)
Brunei (created to let the Sultan keep his throne)
Lesotho, Swaziland (created to buffer the Boer states)

Reactions: Futurist and davor
Jul 2019
london
The Stan countries of Central Asia apart from Afghanistan: Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgystan, Kazakhstan, Turmenistan which were created by the Soviet Union with the objective of divide and rule.

Belgium, created by the great powers of Europe in 1839.

Iraq created by Britain in 1920. It was created out of 3 provinces of the former Ottoman empire, each of which had a different ethnic majority - and still does.

Lebanon, created by France in 1920 in order to have a majority Christia state in the area which would help to protect French trading interests there

Pakistan, created by Britain when it partioned the Indian subcontinent in 1947.

North Korea and South Korea created after the second world war by the U.S.S.R. and the U.S.A. respectively.

Possibly Taiwan (The Republic of China) - created by the defeated Chinese Nationalist forces after they lost the Chinese civil war to the Chinese Communists.

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
Arguably, the Republic of Cyprus. When it was given independence from the British in 1960, the desire of both its communities, the Greek-Cypriot and the Turkish-Cypriot, was to unite with their fatherlands, Greece and Turkey respectively. That was the source of a multitude of problems, still present in the island. There is no Cypriot ethnicity or language.