Countries that were artificial creations at the time of their establishment

Mar 2018
UK
That`s true, allthough I would love to see a map of Africa where the borders were drawn according the natural ethnic lines.
I doubt there is any such thing. Often many different ethnic lines inhabit the same area. Further, human tribal organisation is fractal. If you made an ethnically "pure" country in Africa, I bet you that one weak later people would associate themselves with some lower level split in the ethnicity/tribe and the situation would be essentially the same as now.

Aug 2019
United States
The Stan countries of Central Asia apart from Afghanistan: Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgystan, Kazakhstan, Turmenistan which were created by the Soviet Union with the objective of divide and rule.

Belgium, created by the great powers of Europe in 1839.

Iraq created by Britain in 1920. It was created out of 3 provinces of the former Ottoman empire, each of which had a different ethnic majority - and still does.

Lebanon, created by France in 1920 in order to have a majority Christia state in the area which would help to protect French trading interests there

Pakistan, created by Britain when it partioned the Indian subcontinent in 1947.

North Korea and South Korea created after the second world war by the U.S.S.R. and the U.S.A. respectively.

Possibly Taiwan (The Republic of China) - created by the defeated Chinese Nationalist forces after they lost the Chinese civil war to the Chinese Communists.
Could add India to the list as it was just an exonym for an un-unified region before the establishment of British-India in the 19th century.

Reactions: Futurist

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
That`s true, allthough I would love to see a map of Africa where the borders were drawn according the natural ethnic lines.
I doubt there is any such thing. Often many different ethnic lines inhabit the same area. Further, human tribal organisation is fractal. If you made an ethnically "pure" country in Africa, I bet you that one weak later people would associate themselves with some lower level split in the ethnicity/tribe and the situation would be essentially the same as now.
Prior to the arrangements of ethnic groups created in the colonial states, organization of states in Africa was mainly along cultural lines, not merely ethnic lines.

For example, the Sokoto empire was multi-ethnic but there was largely one shared culture. On nearly the opposite end of the spectrum of state organization, the small city-state of Bonny/Ibani was ethnically mixed, but had a shared culture.

The argument that "they would just fracture into smaller subgroups of ethnic groups" doesn't really match the historical reality of what happened in many parts of Africa in the precolonial period, when cultural syntheses formed between linguistically distinct groups (such as Fulani and Hausa in Sokoto, or Ijaw and Igbo in Bonny/Ibani) where groups happened to be culturally compatible. Certain states like the kingdom of Gonja in the northern part of the modern Republic of Ghana came about basically because of a gradual fusion of distinct but culturally compatible groups.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
What is an artificial creation in politics? A creation that doesn’t follow ethnics? Does a country need to be founded in ethnics? That is mostly a 19th century concept. The concept of the nation-state. The problem is the nation-state tends to exclude the ones that live in the territory but don’t identify with the major nationality present there or with the nationality that is seen as dominant. We saw that in Africa after the decolonization, we saw that in the Balkans after the fall of the Soviet Block, we are seeing that now in the UK with Scotland, in Spain with Catalonia, in Belgium, etc…

As already been said here:

The problem is rather how to combine the principle of inviolability of borders and the right of nations to self-determination.

Ethnic groups are often too mixed, and while ethnic self-identification is important for the people, effective solutions cannot be found.
Let me underline the last part: “effective solutions cannot be found”, at least not always.

By the way, if an artificial creation is a creation made by political will, I can give the example of my country, Portugal.

Reactions: Olleus and Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
This is probably how to do Nigeria:

North is a Hausa-Fulani state that could be viewed as a recreation of the Sokoto Caliphate. Southwest would be a Yoruba state and southeast would be an Igbo state (aka Biafra).

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Could add India to the list as it was just an exonym for an un-unified region before the establishment of British-India in the 19th century.
Mughal ruled India from Kabul to Thiruchirapalli in Tamil Nadu, followed by Marathas ruling from Delhi to Gingee in Tamil Nadu. British only added North East India and Western Pakistan in the greater India.

Aug 2019
United States
Mughal ruled India from Kabul to Thiruchirapalli in Tamil Nadu, followed by Marathas ruling from Delhi to Gingee in Tamil Nadu. British only added North East India and Western Pakistan in the greater India.
South India was independent for a very long time, had its own kingdoms and a separate history, the mughals only added it at the zenith of their rule and only for a brief time. Most dravidians take so much pride in their separate and independent history so I find this historical revisionism and desparation to be Indo-Aryan really odd.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
They also added Burma and Aden. Didn't they?