Countries that were artificial creations at the time of their establishment

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
South India was independent for a very long time, had its own kingdoms and a separate history, the mughals only added it at the zenith of their rule and only for a brief time. Most dravidians take so much pride in their separate and independent history so I find this historical revisionism and desparation to be Indo-Aryan really odd.
North Indians also take pride that South was ruled by Vijayanagar Empire and escaped the brutality of Mughals. Some like Lachit Borphukan of Assam gave bloody nose to Aurangzeb's army. Average North Indians see Krishnadeva Raya as their hero, Mughals were nothing more than barbarians from Uzbekistan.

Last edited:

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
They also added Burma and Aden. Didn't they?
Yes,Burma was a made a separate territory in 1937 separate from British India. Even as a part of British India, Burmese history and nationalist movement was separate. By 1947 British India comprised of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh only.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
I think your formulated my doubt better than I. Was Devdas referring to the British Raj when he mentioned “greater India”? I am inclined to interpret his words in that sense, if it wasn’t I don’t know to what he was referring.
Yes Greater India meant British Raj. Western Pakistan and North East India (except Assam) always had a separate history before being annexed into the British Empire.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
North Indians also take pride that South was ruled by Vijayanagar Empire and escaped the brutality of Mughals. Some like Lachit Borphukan of Assam gave bloody nose to Aurangzeb's army. Average North Indians see Krishnadeva Raya as their hero, Mughals were nothing more than barbarians from Uzbekistan.
Is Mughal rule the reason for that Muslim belt in Uttar Pradesh? :

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Well, 100% countries are artificials...not even one it is a country by "nature"...The oldest country in the world in a Contemporanean sense is USA... and USA also is an artifiicial State....so.... every country on Earth are invented by elites.... Why Pakistan is not India? Why Tibet is not a country? Why Praha and Brno are not Austria.. but Wien or Graz are Austria and not Germany? What about Switzerland? And what about Belgium?
And France? Russia? UK? Spain? Portugal? Croatia? Serbia? Bulgaria?... and Turkey?

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
Well, 100% countries are artificials...not even one it is a country by "nature"...The oldest country in the world in a Contemporanean sense is USA... and USA also is an artifiicial State....so.... every country on Earth are invented by elites.... Why Pakistan is not India? Why Tibet is not a country? Why Praha and Brno are not Austria.. but Wien or Graz are Austria and not Germany? What about Switzerland? And what about Belgium?
And France? Russia? UK? Spain? Portugal? Croatia? Serbia? Bulgaria?... and Turkey?
Why is even Austria a country in itself, I would ask.
All countries are artificially created by the elites indeed, and the USA, despite popular belief, is one of the oldest countries out there, specially when we define the word "country" by its modern sense.

Last edited:
Jan 2013
Toronto, Canada
Why is even Austria a country in itself, I would ask.
Many Austrians saw Germany as Prussia by another name and were still resentful about the Austro-Prussian War among other things.
A small majority of Austrians would probably have supported joining Germany, but the Allies were morally opposed to any form of German expansion after World War I.